Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you think about marinating ribs in juice?

Options
BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been reviewing my rib experiments from the last few years & came across a BBQ Bible recipe that calls for marinating ribs in apple juice. It did come out quite good, but I wanted to see what you all thought about the practice. Since that time, I've settled into the simple dry rub & leave alone until done method. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. :-)

Comments

• BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]I've done some in grape fruit juice and were pretty good.[p]Keep smokin, Dana
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p] I've tried ribs marinated with various juices and or wine in the mix. None have come out bad. Since getting te Egg, I've moved more towards rubs because the ribs don't seem to need the bit of extra moisture that marinades give.[p]I came across a mention that (supposedly) cowboys marinated their briskets in lime juice. I tried that with one. My recollection is that the result was perhaps a tiny bit more tender and that the citrus flavor was rather faint by the end.[p]gdenby

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,
    Allright, I am about to give up the ONLY BBQ secret I have ever had. For years I have marinaded (correct term Stike?) ribs in a 50/50 mixture of mojo sauce and lime juice. It gives them a great twist. Go ahead and add the rub of your choice after the marinade time and try one without sauce the first time. I usually end up saucing about 1/2 because some of my family always wants sauce. Hope you like iit.
    Tom