Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butts for church dinner - PICS

JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm starting to cook the first 4 of 8 pork butts for a church dinner in a week and a 1/2. I won't be able to make it so I'm cooking ahead and going to use my foodsaver to keep them until them. I'm going to leave instructions to boil in bags in water prior to serving. Any help on this portion of it would be nice. This will be our first time doing that.[p]The butt in the upper right is just huge. The one in the upper left is tiny. Oh well, I have multiple thermometers.
IMG_4510.jpg[p]All rubbed and ready to go...
IMG_4511.jpg[p]More pictures throughout the day.[p]John

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    JM3,
    IMHO those fat caps look awfully thick - personally I would score them. Furthermore for more bark you might want to rub the rest of the butt surfaces not just the fat cap which normally will get discarded anyway.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    c558df80.jpg
    <p />JM3,[p]That is a great plan. We use the Nesco roasters for these jobs. You need 2 or 3 of them to make things really easy. (I've never seen a church gathering whose members did not own them so just ask around and borrow some). Anyways, add some liquid (Coke, broth, apple juice etc.) to the bags before sealing and freezing. The day before the event, set in the fridge and partially thaw them out. All you do is heat your water to the 300° range (boiling is not necessary and it may cause the bags to pop) and add bags. I like to bring them up slowly over at least 2 hours. Take the rack for the Nesco and put it on top to keep the bags submerged. You can also vacuum seal bags of sauce to warm up too.[p]68d57132.jpg[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    thirdeye,
    I read with interest your post on reheating. I didn't think about putting the coke in the bag prior to freezing. Good tip. Clarify one thing though I thought water boiled at 212. Did you mean to bring the meat to 300 and the water around 200? Thanks, Tom

• JM3
    RRP,[p]Thanks. Those 4 are already one but I've got but I'll do that with the next. I usually buy my butts at Wally World but went to the butchers this morning. I don't think I'll go back to Wally World. These looked so good.[p]John
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Bajatom,[p]Oops. You are correct. That should have been 200° on the Nesco dial.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning JM3:[p]Those are looking good, John. I'm sure I asked before (and you told me, but I forgot), but which butcher do you get those butts from? Is it the place just off Oakfield in Brandon?[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• JM3
    Jay,[p]I got them at them at Apollo Beach Meats in Apollo Beach. They are closer than the Oakfield Market is to my house.[p]John

• Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    JM3,
    Please Please don't buy meats at wally world. They are filled with salt, water, and aditives. They are no good. [p]Pork Butt Mike