Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potential Egg Buyer...Questions

Options
Science Guy
Science Guy Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to purchase an Egg and I have a few questions that I have not seen answers to on this forum and I would really appreciate if anyone can help.[p]Is it ever necessary to add lump to the Egg during cooking and if so, how is this done? [p]I have seen a lot of posts that suggest that I will be sorry if I don't get a large Egg, however, if I primarily cook for 3-4 people with only an occasional larger group will I be constantly building more of a fire than I need in the Large.[p]I am convinced that an Egg of some size is in my future, I just want to make sure I get the size that fits my needs.[p]

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Science Guy, I have only been egging for 4 months, but in my opinion you shouldn,t need to add lump if you start out with the correct amount. This past week I did a boston butt that cooked for 18 hours and there was lump left at the end. But, if you did need to add some I feel you coud add it and then restabilize your temp and keep on going without a problem. As for the size issue, GET THE LARGE!!! All of the eggs work great but there will be a time you will want to do 6 racks of baby backs or something that size will matter. Good luck and welcome.
    Chuck

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Science Guy,[p]The large Egg can cook 20-24 hrs on a full load of lump at 225 deg dome temp.[p]The medium will certainly work and work well, but the large is pretty nice if you normally cook for 4.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's world of BGE[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Science Guy,[p]I own three Eggs (Lg,Sm, & Mini) and have cooked on them for more than 3 1/2 years. I have never had to add lump to the large. I have added lump to the small during a cook and the process involves removing the meal and grill, adding the lump, reinstalling the removed items, and then regaining regulated cooking temperature. Not a big deal, really. A low and slow cook is the only time you will run the risk of running out of lump when using any sized Egg.[p]The larger the Egg, the more mass it represents that needs to heat to cooking temp, so a bit more fuel is required for the same cook as the Egg size increases. All of the Eggs are extremely fuel efficient and the small cost to heat a larger Egg is very minimal, especially when compared to the extra space available for the cook and the variety of cooking options this larger area and lump volume offer. On all Eggs, once the cook is completed, closing both vents completely will kill the fire and preserve the unburned lump for a future cook.[p]New innovations from BGE are always brought out for the large Egg only, with the most successful offerings possibly offered for the medium Egg. With this consideration, the number of people you intend to normally cook for, and the fact that you will begin to explore the wide range of possiblities of what the Egg is capable of cooking very well, I would recommend the large Egg.[p]BGE had a "trade-up" offering where you could buy an Egg, use it, and then trade up for a larger size on a pro-rated scale. I am not sure if this is still in effect, but it might be an option worth looking into.[p]Best of luck on your choice.[p]Spin[p]

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Science Guy, hello and glad to meet you.
    I'll offer my $.02 and maybe help you to decide what size you need, or at least confuse you more. ;)[p]1. Is it ever necessary to add lump?.... Maybe, but that depends on what temperature, and how long you want to cook. I have cooked on the large at low and slow 225~250 degrees for 26 hours and did not have to add more coals.
    If you were cooking at high temperatures ~600 and making lots of pizzas/steaks etc., then of course you may have to add more. (Spin can can fill you in on cooking multiple pizzas)[p]2. I have a large and a small, and its normally just the two of us eating. I cook on the large as much as the small because for me it is easier to 'set it and forget it' as they say on TV. The cost of charcoal is minimal in meal planning really, and I also like the larger opening on the large egg.[p]GFW cook's all his wonderful stuff (just check his webpage) on a medium. So that proves a medium will work great for you, but if you have the funds and the room available, why not just get the large cause it will do it all, and more of it.
    again, just MHO
    later,
    ChefRD

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Spin,
    What does/did BGE do with the smaller, used Eggs?

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Shelby,
    They sell them at a big discount.

• Rsqare
    Rsqare Posts: 6
    Options
    I bought a used mini from BGE, saved a lot, goes well with my medium.

• Science Guy
    Options
    Spin,
    Thanks for the helpful information it was exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I have no excuse now. I think that the large (although pretty spendy here in Seattle area)is the choice. My main concern was that I would spend a lot more time and use a lot more fuel getting the large up to temp but it sounds like that is not a huge issue and the ability to cook larger quantities is definitely a plus on some occasions. Thanks again to all who answered.

• Turkey
    Turkey Posts: 38
    Options
    Science Guy,[p]Check out these two website for pricing. The second one is in WA so shipping should be reasonable if you can't just go get it.[p]Halcogrills
    http://www.halcogrills.com/itm00099.htm[p]Soundcedar
    http://www.soundcedar.com/shopping/bge/[p]I would recommend calling both and speaking with them personally.[p]Mark[p]

• Uncle Dave
    Uncle Dave Posts: 54
    Options
    Science Guy,[p] Get the large , I messed around for 2 yrs. with this idea. Trust me just get the large. You cant say you werent told . Good luck
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Science Guy, you will be ecstatic with the medium. You will be even more pleased with the large. I own a medium and a mini. I am ecstatic. One day I will probably buy a large as well. Until then I will continue to be ecstatic with what I now have.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    JJ, They sell them at a big discount to people who trade them back in on a larger size (or to owners of a larger size who want the ultimate "EGGcessory").