Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp problems? what lurks behind those air holes...

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_1675.jpg
<p />recently my large BGE has had some temperature tantrums so I figured it was time for a thorough knock down clean out. After a high temp burn out last night I started the task and noticed three of the rear holes were completly clogged. So, I carefully removed the ring and fire box and found these massive 8" ash pyramids. No wonder!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP,
    Yep. That's why I take out everything twice a year and break out the foil ball and the shop vac. Still...twice a year is what I call low-maintenance!

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    RRP,
    Been there done that. I have made mention about that a few times and never had any comment.But like they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

• RRP
    darnoc,
    me too several times and I just saw it today as a photo-op to show newbies something they might not have seen yet and to realize what will be a problem for them in the future.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Hank,[p]"foil ball" ??
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    RRP,
    Five or six times a year I get the urge to clean my Egg a bit more than just raking out the ash pit. I clean as far as I can go with a scoop and then use my 18 year-old shop vac to do the rest. I just hold the nozzle over the vent holes and it sucks most of the hidden ash. Never had to remove my fire pit. [p]Spring "Kick'n Ash" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    RRP,
    i think someone makes a tool for that
    tb

[ul][li]scroll down 5 tools after clicking here[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    RRP,
    Same thing happened to me last summer, not as bad as yours si I try to have a knockdown every month or two.

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Spring Chicken,
    Granted it does make quite a "cloud of ashes" but I have tried scrapping out all I could then holding a leaf blower to the lower vent till ash stopps coming out of the egg. Then I just continue with the blower to clean off all ash. Be CERTAIN all fire is completely out before applying a blower or a vaccuum.

• ball it up and you have a foil ball. very effective at scrubbing "gunk" off egg innerds.
  • RRP
    GriffinGaDawg,
    also at removing the chrome plating from a BGE brand grill extender! so be careful. Personally the baked on crud in my eggs is not really phased with a foil ball like the 1" putty knife I prefer. Getting dirty twice a year is OK with me!

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    RRP,
    I am almost embarrassed to post this (being so close to learning the secret handshake and all), but my Egg is almost 4 months old. I have completely removed the innards and vacuumed, or swept, or scooped it out clean AT LEAST six times already. I thought that I was "supposed" to do that before any cook over 500![p]Why ... just tonight I was getting ready for tomorrow's pizza. See?[p]
    cleanup.jpg[/p][p]Smiling,
    Peter

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    omba,
    I disassemble mine about once a month and clean, but I use it 4 or 5 times a week. -RP

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    RRP,
    the bge ash tool will reach into the space between the firebox and the egg for better than half way around each side.[p]i always reach in there when cleaning out the 'obvious' ash from under the fire grate

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    omba,
    that's a funny pic, man. [p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRP
    stike,
    I agree, but look at the picture again and those 8" pyramids were at the back half that can't be reached. Obviously there is not the proper depth perception in that picture, but the center is the bottom which I had scoopred out before removing the firebox. Oh well, have a nice day!

• RRP,
    I use a shop vac when I clean mine out. I do the traditional ash clean with my ash tool, then I shop vac all my vent holes, the suction is strong enough to suck out the ash on the backside of my Egg.