Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza question - browning the crust

Rich GRich G Posts: 103
edited 9:59AM in EggHead Forum
Question for all you pizza experts out there -- How do you achieve proper browning on your pizza crust while not over browning your toppings?[p]I've got pizza down pretty well. I use Mr Hyde's dough recipe, and have a sauce I like. I usually use a mix of mozzarella and provolone cheeses, and keep the toppings to a minimum. I cook indirect on a pizza stone on a raised grid. I have tried 600 degrees, 400 degrees, and several spots in between. I haven't dialed in the right combination yet, as the top of the pie always seems to be done before the bottom and edge crust gets a good browning.[p]Lay it on me, folks!!! What's the secret here?[p]Thanks,
Rich

·

Comments

• icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    Rich G,[p]Browning of a crust has more to do with how much sugar is in the dough...[p]You can actually make a little sugar water and brush it on the crust to help with browing...[p]Or add a teaspoon in your dough after the first rise..[p]What happens with most pizza dough is that most of the sugar is used up by the yeast..[p]When I was a kid I worked in a fancy restaurant and we would spray the crust with a little sugar water to brown..[p]Same thing we did on the rolls we would make..
    ·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Rich G,
    You didn`t mention it, so I will suggest giving your pizza stone a good 30 minuteas at your desired temp, to insure that the stone is up to the same temp...sometimes there can be a fine line between to high of a temp and not quite hot enough...

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Rich G,
    I've always had the opposite problem of burning the crust before the top was done. That was when I put the pizza stone directly on the plate setter. Like Wess said, give it at least 30 minutes for the stone to come up to temp. -RP

·
  • hiloboyhiloboy Posts: 75
    icemncmth,
    what a great forum ..thanks Ice for a great idea my first read of the day.

·
  • Rich GRich G Posts: 103
    Thanks, all, for the input. I'll tinker a bit more and see if we can get there. More sugar is good, right?!?! ;)[p]FWIW, I DO preheat the stone with the cooker, and hold it at temp for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking....[p]Thanks![p]R

·
  • icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    Rich G,[p]I would start buy just adding an 1/4 teaspoon...the go from there...[p]You can get to much sugar and you will get a sweet dough....
    ·