Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza question - browning the crust

Options
Rich G
Rich G Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question for all you pizza experts out there -- How do you achieve proper browning on your pizza crust while not over browning your toppings?[p]I've got pizza down pretty well. I use Mr Hyde's dough recipe, and have a sauce I like. I usually use a mix of mozzarella and provolone cheeses, and keep the toppings to a minimum. I cook indirect on a pizza stone on a raised grid. I have tried 600 degrees, 400 degrees, and several spots in between. I haven't dialed in the right combination yet, as the top of the pie always seems to be done before the bottom and edge crust gets a good browning.[p]Lay it on me, folks!!! What's the secret here?[p]Thanks,
Rich

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Rich G,[p]Browning of a crust has more to do with how much sugar is in the dough...[p]You can actually make a little sugar water and brush it on the crust to help with browing...[p]Or add a teaspoon in your dough after the first rise..[p]What happens with most pizza dough is that most of the sugar is used up by the yeast..[p]When I was a kid I worked in a fancy restaurant and we would spray the crust with a little sugar water to brown..[p]Same thing we did on the rolls we would make..
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Rich G,
    You didn`t mention it, so I will suggest giving your pizza stone a good 30 minuteas at your desired temp, to insure that the stone is up to the same temp...sometimes there can be a fine line between to high of a temp and not quite hot enough...

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Rich G,
    I've always had the opposite problem of burning the crust before the top was done. That was when I put the pizza stone directly on the plate setter. Like Wess said, give it at least 30 minutes for the stone to come up to temp. -RP

• hiloboy
    hiloboy Posts: 75
    Options
    icemncmth,
    what a great forum ..thanks Ice for a great idea my first read of the day.

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks, all, for the input. I'll tinker a bit more and see if we can get there. More sugar is good, right?!?! ;)[p]FWIW, I DO preheat the stone with the cooker, and hold it at temp for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking....[p]Thanks![p]R

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Rich G,[p]I would start buy just adding an 1/4 teaspoon...the go from there...[p]You can get to much sugar and you will get a sweet dough....