Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ground Chicken Patties

Options
Janet
Janet Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A while ago I bought some Perdue ground chicken patties for some reason and stuck them in the freezer. Tonight I'm going to give them a bath in olive oil and put them on the egg, indirect, with some Jack Daniels chips and try to smoke them a bit while cooking (they're still a little frozen). [p]Does anyone have any more interesting ideas for these things?[p]Janet

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Janet, thats a good approach for starters. Keep it simple and experiment. Here is something you might try on the patties. I did this with butterflied boneless breast one evening. Covered with olive oil, sprinkled to suit taste with Tones Lemon Pepper, and then for grins and giggles, I sprinkled em lightly with a coating of Potato flakes right out of the box. covered with plastic and let em sit for a few hours..onto the grill at 600 to 650F indirect on a second grill, and they turned out very good. Nice and moist and when you could break one in two with the tongs, you knew you had hit the right doneness.
    Should work on the patties as well.
    C~W
    BTW..I chased these with a flip every 10 minutes till they were finished.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Janet,
    Probably too late for you, but indirect might dry them out. I would slather them with mustard and a rub, or a paste with spices and mustard and maybe a tad of lime juice, or even olive oil like you did, and some spices. Grill direct at 400-450 for 5 minutes a side. A little crust, and the quick cook won't dry them out.[p]Maybe for next time!
    How did they come out?
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Dang. Close again!!
    I agree with you. Indirect would be doable with higher temps.
    Good thing I was lookin for ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    Char-Woody and NB:
    Like every egg meal so far this ended up better than I thought it could. After the olive oil bath, I added garlic powder (too lazy for fresh and I was experimenting after all)and some lemon seasoning (like Tone's). I cooked them (indirect) at 250 to 300 for about 20 minutes on first side and 15 minutes on second. They were surprising moist and good. Is it possible to make something awful on the egg?? Haven't done it yet.[p]Thanks for the ideas - these were good enough that I'll try again. [p]I've never been a big fan of internet forums, but this one is definitely an exception. First site I go to when I boot up![p]Thanks again!
    Janet[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Janet, thank you for the nice reply..We (the forum) do have our good side!! Thats why we always try to keep that side up!! :-)
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, Sorry late, I had to go eat a super sirloin...garnished with saute'ed mushrooms, onion, and melted on swiss cheese..oooooooh...Even my pup Patti is satisfied. She is my best critic..:-)[p]I was surprised again with the high temp cook. I was in a hurry so I pushed the envelope to get meal on wheels. Wiffy was hungry..:-)
    C~W[p]