Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different Brisket Recipe (kinda long)

Options
Rick G
Rick G Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I came across a brisket recipe the other day that I thought was kind of strange and I thought I would ask the eggsperts.

This recipe calls for smoking the brisket for eight hours, mopping it every hour after the first two hours. It then says to remove it from the egg, let it cool, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate over night. The next day it says to smoke it again until it hits 160 internal.

I have never heard of such a recipe so I thought I would try it. I thought it turned out fantastic.

Just wondering if anybody else has done a brisket this way???

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Rick G,
    Was it a whole brisket or just a flat or point? Was it "wet" or "dry" before cooking it?[p]I know some meats taste better the next day after being warmed up. So you might be on to something.[p]Spring "Got Where I'm Going In Reverse" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Rick G,[p]Nature Boy and I have done a few briskets similar to your recipe where they were not quite cooked all of the way, then cooled and reheated the next day... and they have always turned out surprisingly good.[p]Last one I did was for a party where I only had time for a short cook the day before..... so I smoked a big flat until it reached the plateau and then let it cook there for a couple of hours. After the time in the plateau, the flat was pulled off the cooker, double foiled and sealed up tight with an added cup of liquid and into the fridge. Next day, reheated the flat still sealed in the foil until it reached about 180 internal. The meat sliced up moist and delicious.[p]So yes, there is something to be said about cooking a brisket one day and finishing it the next... and it's a really good shortcut if you're limited on time.[p]john
  • Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I cooked just a flat but the recipe called for a whole because it mentioned cooking the point longer. As for the wet or dry...not really sure what you mean. It was rubed up with turbindo sugar and cow lick and mopped with a mop sauce. The next day I cooked it dry. But I know one thing...It turned out really good. Give it a try.

• rex clingan
    Options
    When the fire has died overnight I have done something similar. After it had cooled, I figured internal temperature was no longer a good indicator of when to pull, so I forked it.