Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre cooking ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any suggestions on how to cook ribs the night before... would you pull them off early for the heat process...or is this just not a good idea... taking the ribs to a party... as you all know the egg does not liek to be transported... thanks

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BbqKid,
    How much time do you have before the party? I'd start them early and finish them before the party; then wrap tightly in foil and transport them in a pre-heated cooler.[p]HTH
    Ken

• BlueSmoke,
    I was goign to do them the night before... I will be at work all day.... my fiance will be the only one home.... and there is a reason i cook.... Is this just not a cook idea?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BbqKid,
    just cook them as usual and reheat on a grill at the place you are bringing them to. or reheat in their oven, in a shallow pan covered with foil, low-temp

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    Thanks... this is a great site... got my BGE 2 days ago... this site is a blessing... you all are amazing thanks

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    BbqKid,
    I might add to stikes post. I would wait and sauce when warming them back up.[p]Mike

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    BbqKid,
    I have done this several times.
    I start out doing the 3,1,1 method but there are changes. I set up a indirect cook, the racks on their edges and use a dome temp of 250, no less no more. I let them go for 3 hours, I then remove them to a 3-4 deep alum pan, I cut the full racks in half at this point. I cover the ribs lightly with the "sauce of the day" or what ever you will use at the end. Not too much as you done want to over do and steam the ribs. I then put the covered alum pans in the a Direct Egg setup and rotate top to bottom every 15 minutes to keep the ribs from burning, for an hour or so. I remove the covered pans and let them rest on the counter for about an hour. Next into the refrigerator they go till the day of grilling. On that day of grilling I set the house oven to 175 and just warm the ribs up for about an hour or less, just enough so the harden fat melts. Transport these to your final grilling spot. Now the ribs are ready for the final grilling and saucing. Just grill and sauce the ribs as needed. Like I said I have done this before and days ahead, the most I did were 18 racks over 3 days.[p]

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    BbqKid,
    You've got good advice here already so I'll just throw in some moral support. Ribs are never as good as when they are finished on the egg and rested an hour or so before cutting them up. That's from a competition judge's perspective. You're not feeding me though. The civilians you're feeding will see your warmed up ribs as the best they've ever had. They'll be way better than anything they've had at most restaurants.[p]Do take the time to remove the membrane from the slabs before you rub them. It has a horrible mouth feel (something between a fat wad and an oyster) and it prevents the seasonings from penetrating the meat on that side. That simple step will separate your ribs from anything your friends have ever eaten.

• tach18k,[p]Thanks i will try that..... thanks to all for all the help....