Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"The" Brisket Recipe

Options
TF1
TF1 Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
good evening![p]just tuned up my Egg this past weekend only to endure an April Nor'Easter that prevented any chance of a good cook.
i have yet to try a brisket. many, many butts, ribs, but no brisket. part of me has been a bit nervous, b/c i want to make sure i really get it right. [p]so here i am. any thoughts on your best ideas for a brisket would be greatly appreciated. cook starts Saturday (fine New England weather permitting)[p]thanks,[p]tripp (Marblehead, MA)

Comments

• TF1,
    I'd start off w/ Eggin a flat instead of the entire brisket. Forgive me if you already know this: brisket's made up of two muscles, the flat & the point. The flat tends to be leaner, the point sits on top of the flat & is way fatty. The grain of each run in different directions. Don't get me wrong. Eggin a full brisket is amazing! But if it's your first whack at one. I'd reccomend starting out w/ just the flat. Get your butcher to cut you one & leave about a 1/4 inch fat cap. Go indirect using your platesetter w/ the legs up and a drip pan. Put the flat fat side down at 225 using about 3 chunks total of of soaked hickory & mesquite. Brisket takes 1-2 hours a pound so depending on the size of the flat. I'm low tech & just do mine until I can put a fork in the meat side & twist easily. Hope this helps.
    ATX in brisket Country, Austin Texas

• guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Options
    TF1, Hey is that anywhere near S. Dartmouth Mass? My cousins lived on Barney's Jor Rd. for ever.[p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • TF1,
    I have just started doing brisket. I really liked elder wards write up it helped me out alot, its in the recipe section on this webpage. I was a little overwhelmed cooking brisket at first, there are so many options and tips and tricks. The main thing that help me was to bring it to around 200 internal. BBQ seems more like a journey than a destination, I would not worry about nailing the first brisket. Just cook a bunch of them trying different options. Plus then theres more meat to eat, yum...

• TF1
    TF1 Posts: 16
    Options
    atxegger,
    THANKS! FAT SIDE DOWN HUH? WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OTHERWISE