Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New wok from Outdoor Home

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just received my new large wok from Outdoor Home. Anybody have some good stir-fry receipes they would like to share. Also looking for a few tips on how to use this thing. It's not cast iron but should I keep a light coating of oil on it? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Thomas,
    I treat mine like cast iron. I seasoned it first....covered in lard and baked in the egg for an hour or so at 400. Then shut the egg down and let everything cool. From then on you have a seasoned wok, as long as you don't scrub it with soap. The more you cook on it, the more seasoned it will get pork fat is always good if you can cook some bacon or sausage in it early on. Clean what you can easily scrape with a wooden spoon then warm water and a soft scoring pad, and coat with oil before storing. [p]I still have not egged with mine, as it is the inside wok! I am ready to get another for egg use. They are indispensable tools.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Thomas,
    I've had my wok for OUtdoor Home for a couple - three months now and enjoy it no end.Here's one of the first things I did with Mr. Egg and Ms. Wok. The one thing I did learn early on was that you have everything ready before you start! Wok cooking moves very fast and takes a little planning...not a biggie but important.
    Do you have Word 2000? I can e-mail you some stuff that I found helpful.
    I did some squid that was out of this world recently! Good luck and we have another way to enjoy the Egg that others don't! ;>)[p]Carey[p]Also have some info on seasoningand the care and feeding of your wok too.[p][p]Asparagus Chicken
    Ingredients: [p]Eight pieces of chicken
    two bunches of asparagus
    white part of a green onion
    one slice of minced ginger
    one tablespoon of cooking wine
    two tablespoon of cornstarch.[p]Spices: [p]One teaspoon of sugar
    2/3 tablespoon of soy sauce
    half a cup of cooking wine
    half a teaspoon of salt[p] Procedure:
    1) Cut chicken into small pieces. Mix with one tablespoon of cooking wine and let it sit for ten minutes before adding two tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix well. [p]2) Cut green onion and asparagus into short segments[p]3) Heat up wok and add one cup of vegetable oil. Add chicken and cook at low temperature until chicken changes color. Remove chicken from the wok.[p]4) Add asparagus to the wok and stir-fry quickly at medium heat. Remove asparagus.[p]5) Remove all but two tablespoons of oil from the wok. Add minced ginger. Add chicken, asparagus, green onion and stir-fry quickly. Pour on spices before serving.[p]

• Sundown
    Nature Boy,
    You gotta get that wok out on to MR. Egg! The squid I did was replecated again and IT WAS FANTASTIC!
    Tried it with orange juice instead of lemon/lime and I have to say squiddly-licous.[p]Carey

• Sundown
    Thomas,
    My wife said to send you this one...she who must be obeyed.[p]Chinese Stir-Fried Beef[p] Serves 3 - 4 [p]Ingredients:
    12 oz tender, lean grilling steak
    1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    4 tablespoons cold water
    2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    2 tablespoons peanut oil
    4 spring onions (scallions) chopped[p]Directions:
    Freeze beef to firm it, then cut in thin, bite-sized slices across the grain. Combine garlic, salt, and ginger and rub into beef, mixing well. Set aside for 10 minutes. Mix cornstarch with water, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
    Heat a wok, add peanut oil, and swirl to coat. Add beef and stir-fry over high heat until color changes. Add spring onions and fry for 1 minute longer. Add cornstarch mixture and stir until it boils and thickens. Serve immediately with rice.[p][p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Thomas, check your email in a minute. I'm sending you a killer recipe for Mongolian Beef in your new wok. BTW Dr Chicken has just entered the wok world this weekend so watch for goodies to come from him.
    PS I have a new address which still hasn't shown up in the update section. It's patron@mtco.com if anybody else wants the recipe.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.