Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Steak directly on coals… Disaster!!!

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a BIG bone in rib eye. For a little something different I decided to try searing it directly on hot lump… figured I’d read about it here so what the heck. Carefully set it on a nice flat area of white hot coals. So far so good… slowly counted to 90 and pulled it off and took a look. Nothing stuck and it looked terrific… on to the other side. By the time I hit 60 seconds I had an inferno going on in my egg. I grabbed my tongs and went after it only to drop it about half way up…$#!%!!!! Grab it again and pull it free from the flames. Finish on the grill to medium. My $35.00 steak tasted like an ash tray. I’m thinking the dropping incident kicked up a lot of ash. Fortunately it was so thick I cut off the outside and had what amounted to a prime rib. Word of warning if you try this… use long tongs, wear a gloves and don’t drop your meat.

Comments