Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOW DO I SMOKE WITH THIS THING?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HOW DO I SMOKE WITH THIS THING? I HAVE SOAKED THE WOOD CHIPS FOR DAYS IN WATER.I LET IT SMOKE SLOW AND LOW BUT THE CHARCOAL ALWAYS GOES OUT.HOW DO YOU GET THE TEMPERATURE LOW AND KEEP IT? I WOULD LIKE TO SMOKE FOR 10 TO 20 HOURS IF I COULD. WHAT ARE GOOD SMOKING TEMPERATURES AND HOW DO YOU KEEP THEM? PLEASE HELP ME BE A SMOKER.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    GARY GRAVES,[p]Give us a little bit more information on what you are trying to smoke and we'll be able to help a whole lot more. Typically I'm able to keep temps constant for 20-22 hours at about 200-225. This is quite adequate for smoking boston butts and briskets. Its easy to do, just let us know what you're trying to cook. Are you using lump charcoal or briquettes?[p]Troy
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    GARY GRAVES,[p]There's no need to soak your chips for days. 30 minutes max and half a handfull are all you need for most cooks. Give us more info and we will try to help. 225* is your best temp for most low and slow smoking. Trying to maintain temps below 200* is neither easy nor necessary on the Egg.[p]K~G

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    GARY GRAVES,[p] I'll give you some tips if you promise to stop yelling ;-)! (All caps can sometimes be a little too loud to read . . .)[p]1. Before you light the fire, stir up the coal from the previous cooks really well -- make sure the holes in the firebox grate are unobstructed. IF the holes are blocked at the beginning, your fire may not last through the cook.[p]2. Start a small fire in the center of the lump pile and let the BGE get up to 200F or so on the dome thermometer. (I'll sometimes continue at 150-170F, but 200F should be a bit easier the first time). Close down top and bottom vents quite a bit.[p]3. Open up the BGE and add your soaked (or unsoaked -- with a small fire, I don't normally find it necessary to soak them) to the fire. If you soaked them, shake them out a bit first so you're not dumping a big handful of water onto the coals along with the chips. Keep in mind that for a whole pulled pork cook (normally 20-24 hours), I use about two handfulls of chips and a couple of unsoaked chunks. Don't need much more than that.[p]4. Add food once the smoke starts.[p]5. Adjust temperature gradually up into the 200-225 range by slowly closing the bottom vent as the temperature rises.[p]Shouldn't be more to it than that.[p]MikeO
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    GARY GRAVES, When I run my Brinkmann I shoot for 230 to 250*. With the Egg I work the 275 to 300* (dome temp) range and get even better results. I think the key is to use indirect heat.And flavor wood - more often than not I put a couple of chunk of unsoaked hickory out at the edge of the firebox - out there it get hot enough to smolder but not hot enough to burn.