Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how to cook a well done steak

smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have mastered my medium rare! I have gotten medium down, but cant seem to get well done without drying it out!
I have my bro coming with his better half, and she likes zero pink in her meat. I have never had a well done steak! Am I doing something wrong or is that as good as it gets at well done? I have been practicing for the past 3 days! Cant get it! (getting sick of steak)
I am also going to try trexing for the first time! I need help here!
can I just load up and then start it using starter cubes and wait? Will it get hot enough? I usually do the sear and dwell! Works good for me, but now ready to try something different, especially after doing a search and seeing the pics posted!!

Comments

• Try a reverse TREX. Cook at 350 or lower until about 155 then pan sear it. Let rest for 5 - 10 minutes. Look for a final temp of 165. This works for thick steaks. Going to be difficult if you only have one egg. I would cook (roast) it in the oven and then sear on the egg. For thinner, you could do like pan frying - cook at heat until 160/165. You would have to put it on earlier.[p]Spacey
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    smokn gramma g,
    Do you have any old baseball gloves you could cut up and serve her? Does she want catchup with it as well? The only red meat that gets cooked to zero pink in our house is hamburgers. [p]I think Spaceman Spiffs suggestion will work but I recall a BBQ cookbook from years ago that gave me the best steak advice when cooking for multiple "others" :It is your house...cook 'em the way you like 'em"[p]Good luck

• I think roasting at a lower temp (275?) would work better.[p]Spacey
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    smokn gramma g,[p]My wife loves well done steaks and I have a method that works very well for a juicy steak for us.[p]We use 1" thick porterhouse steak frozen in foodsaver bags. Thaw the steak and then heat the bagged steak in 125 degrees water for 30-45 minutes prior to cooking. The steak wants to be 125 degree completely through. Then dry the meat very well and coat with kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper. Press the coating into the steak. Sear the steak at very well heated 500-550 degrees for 3 minutes a side and remove to rest before eating.[p]This works for us.[p]Spin
    Spin

• Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    smokn gramma g,
    Well is she is going to eat a steak well done then just give her a burger. I don't understand how people enjoy well done meat. No flavor or dried up like an old prune. I would to keep her happy is don't sear like you said and try more of a slow cook, so it cooks more even. Do at low temp. and keep it at 160 internal temp. This should cook more even threw and not dry it out as bad.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    smokn gramma g,
    i would cook them medium rare and then when they are resting throw one of those in the microwave. thats if i had a microwave. ive heard this technique works with prime rib.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mike
    mike Posts: 152
    smokn gramma g,
    now this seems really confusing. maybe best to tell her to eat her steak prior to getting to your house.

• ArtieQ
    ArtieQ Posts: 65
    smokn gramma g,
    First do what I do, make sure the person eating the well done steak get the absolute worst, cheapest steak at the market!! I won't spend money on a good steak just to ruin it. I have a father-in-law that eats them this way and uses ketchup!!! Needless to say while everybody else eats 2" ribeyes he gets the thin cut one.[p]Usually what we do now is just a whole rib roast. That way everybody is happy.

• Psiman
    Psiman Posts: 12
    smokn gramma g,[p]At the restaurant we hammer it in the deep fryer and then drop it on the grill and brand it. Break your teeth on it or sole your shoe with it. It is a waste, but the customer is always RIGHT.