Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting Fire

Options
PRobinson
PRobinson Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help. I prepared ChefRD's Hot Wings for the second time -- both times with excelent results. However, both times I was only able to get fire over about half of the grill surface. I do not have fire around the outer portion of the grill, and dthe wings in that area does not cook until I place them in the middle. My question is - should I use more pieces of "fire-starter" around the outer edge of lump? I used three pieces this time, but I guess they were still more toward the center of the charcoal. About how many pieces should I use? and how should they be placed? Thanks.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    PRobinson,[p]The Egg is not really designed to do what you want it to. The dome is meant to be closed during cooking and that will more evenly distribute the heat. Adding ceramic will remove the hotspots and redistribute the heat even better, but for the wings you need to flip and move them around.[p]The second solution is a different grate. The ceramic grate does a fine job but the trivet or steel mesh do a better job of allowing air in which will allow the fire to better spread. [p]Starting the fire in multiple places might help some but I doubt much.[p]Tim
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    PRobinson, I've found that once I get a good bed of coals in the middle, I can spread it around with my ash tool. Step back, have a cold one, and voila you've got more uniform heat. By the design of the Egg, you still will run cooler at the outside edges of the grill.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    PRobinson,
    I normally start two fires spaced apart and then try to spread some coals around before starting.
    But like Tim says, you still have to move/turn the pieces as you keep basting them with the hot sauce.
    Later,
    ChefRD

• PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Thanks to all. I feel more comfortable now. Anyway, the wings are great. I used GFW's barbecue sauce. After the first batch several weeks ago, my daughter and her family "begged" for the next time. I did 48 wings, 2 salmons and shared. Needless to say, they kept calling and came running when the Q was ready.