Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planked Salmon Question

Options
duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can any of you experts put me onto a good planked Salmon method.
I'm gonna try my first one tonight.[p]Thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    duckegg,
    just treat it as a cooking vessel/barrier.
    skin down, no flipping. 350 or so.[p]the reason for soaking is to delay smoking, as cedar is actually not such a desirable smoke in great amounts. you'd never smoke a porkbutt with it for example.[p]but it's nice as a complement to strong fish, and so a hint of it works well with salmon. [p]i put the salmon on the plank when it's still wet, and onto the fire. takes maybe 20 minutes, and the plank will smoke for the last ten or so. you don't want too much.[p]it's a regional thing originally. how do you cook the fish you have on hand over an open fire? well, if you have plenty of salmon, and plenty of alder (or cedar), you plank it.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    duckegg,
    soak the plank for at least 3 -4 hours submerged (hold it down in the water with a heavy pot on top)[p]get your egg up to 425 direct. ..[p]place the plank on the grid. ..wait till you hear it start to 'crackle'[p]rub a little evoo on it and salt and pepper, or your favorite fish rub (dizzy raging river). . .[p]lay the salmon skin side down on the plank. ..let it cook around 18 -20 minutes (until it just starts to flake). ..spritz some fresh lemon on it about halfway through. . .[p]DSCN0269.jpg[p]DSCN0271.jpg

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    plank2.jpg
    <p />duckegg,
    I use the skinless salmon. Soak the plank in a mixture of water and wine. Get the Egg up to 350 while I season the fish. Take the plank out of the solution season it with a little sea salt, olive oil and dill. Put the plank on the grill. When the plank starts to crackle and smoke i put the fish on it and let it cook. About twent tto twenty five minutes.
    That's what works for me.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01533aBb.jpg
    <p />duckegg,[p]Love that salmon. Max and stike laid out all the basics. My adders would be: Put a thin layer of oil on both the skin and the cooking side of the plank. I like alder better than cedar, and I pull it before it flakes. Keep a spray bottle handy in case the plank flashes.[p]dsc01345aLS.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 10feb07-008.jpg
    <p />duckegg,
    if you cook something next to the plank, be careful not to burn it as the heat will go around the plank on one side or the other blasting whatever is in it's path.

• City Slicker
    Options
    duckegg, Did my first one last week, just the way Stike said. I used the ultra thin cost-co planks, soaked for 3 hours. They were just about burnt right thru when I pulled them off. I had cold salmon sandwiches for lunch right until Yesterday. I almost like them cold better than hot! Just put some salt amd pepper and some Up the Creek on them. These are one of the "keeper" meals for sure. Will be buying Home Depot fence boards for thichness next time.

• duckegg
    Options
    City Slicker,
    I'm gonna do it just like that, I just sawed up a board from Lowes. We both love Salmon on the egg but never tried it planked. Will report back on results.[p]Thanks for the help.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    duckegg,
    i use cedar shims which i'd gotten when i was doing some work on the house. got a paper grocery bag fiull for two bucks. i used a few for a project and now have all these extras. they are just cedar shingles that aren't up to snuff. i score the thin and, snap them off, and good to go. there is absolutely no logic to buying cedar planks at a williams sonoma.
    hahaha[p]good idea getting the board at lowes[p]now, you'll have about thirty people posting telling us we are eating of dangerous chemicals from some unknown treatment on the wood.[p]...nope

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • duckegg
    Options
    stike,
    I've got a Bag-O-Shims down in the cellar too, I decided not to use them as they smell a lot more like the cellar than they do about Cedar.