Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Eggfest and a Brisket issue

Options
Hustling Hare
Hustling Hare Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Item 1. This rarely posting egger just completed the registration for the Texas Eggfest. This will be our first (spouse coming, too) and are looking forward to it. btw, I'm about a 4 year egger with a well used Lge.[p]Item 2. As we speak a 10 lb brisket has been cooking since 10:00 last night with a fire running most of the night at about 240 deg. This morning it was down to 230. I did calibrate the dome thermometer last night before the cook. The fire is still burning as I just tweaked the dampers a bit and it responded with a temp increase back above 240. Now my issue is that in the last hour or so the internal brisket temp has declined by about 5 deg from about 178 to 173. I have a W&S version of the Maverick single probe remote thermometer. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Hustling Hare,[p]I can't really say for sure...it could be any number of things, or not really anything!![p]somrtime you'll get a void in your fire and a little adjustment will get it burning right again![p]I'd just keep any eye on it..and it'll probably come back up![p]See you there!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Hustling Hare,
    Item 1. First fest...[p]Good food.....[p]2006_0520EggFest0020.jpg[p]And real good friends...[p]2006_0520EggFest0033.jpg

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Hustling Hare,[p] Since it is obvious Chubby needs to learn to read, the drop in MEAT temp could be the Plateau. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't always happen at 165. Keep an eye on it. The MEAT temp should come back up after a while. When it does it will be fairly fast.[p]
    [p]

• Hustling Hare
    Options
    Celtic Wolf and Burnt Raw, [p]It makes sense that the plateau can vary with the brisket. What I don't think I ever read on the forum is the possibility of a temperature drop during plateau and it gave me some minor concern...company from Glouster, MA to eat Texas BBQ later today.[p]Current status: Burnt Raw nailed it. I did mess with the fire a bit and it came back up in temp and now the brisket is upwards of 180 deg.[p]Thanks to you you both.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]I don't see a problem at all with what I said!![p]I've seen many cooks where the fire didn't migrate because of a void in the firebox(or whatever device
    was being used)![p]Now...while the pit temp didn't drop like a rock...the amount of heat generated by a smaller fire (of the same temp), isn't enough to push the internal meat temp upwards....thus it will stall, and then start to fall!![p]Nothing to do with a plateau.... in this scenario! [p]Simply trying to point something out that may not
    be "the obvious answer".[p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Hustling Hare,[p] Most likely it broke out of the plateau, but chubby does get it right now and then :)[p] Most of us know it's in the plateau and never really bother to watch it. I have seen this happen on pork butts a couple times. [p] It has been mentioned here a couple times.
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    Hustling Hare,
    Just to close the story. I took it off at 199 deg. after it passed the fork test. It took just a little under 15 hours to cook.[p]I think both BurntRaw and Chubby were right in that I probably had a weakness in the fire, overcome by opening ever so slightly the dampers, and the plateau which occurred at about the same time.[p]Again thanks for the help and hope to see a bunch of you at the TX Eggfest.