Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt- 7:30AM and things are not fine in the Porkdom

Options
Turkey
Turkey Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got up this morning and checked on Mr.Egg and he was down from 250° to 200°. Meat was still at 168°. I have opened both vents to heat things up and having trouble keeping things around 250 with things open just a crack as before. [p]Thinking about opening things up and stiring the lump around to get rid of ash build up and make sure there is good air flow through the holes.[p]Mark

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Turkey,
    You will be fine. Don't mess with the lump unless you can't get temps up buy tapping the vents open a bit. [p]Sounds like you are stylin and smylin.
    Enjoy
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Turkey
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]How open would you go with the bottom vent before considering playing in the lump? [p]So glad someone is around, I hadn't gotten up to do anything yet.[p]THANKS!
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Turkey,
    Open it to maybe an inch, and take off your daisy. It should begin climbing within a few minutes. When you get to 230, put your daisy back on, and close your bottom vent to maybe 1/2 inch until you hone in on 250. Then adjust accordingly. Won't hurt if you get up to 270 at this point.[p]Have fun and keep us posted. Go get a beer. It's a holiday.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Turkey, Good advice from NB...open the lower vent wide open if you have too..and watch the needle. when it starts to rise, close up to about a 1/4 inch. then tighten as you need too to hold the course.
    I have mentioned this before but take a wire coat hanger or anything appropriate and put a bend on the end suitable to reach in and stick up in the grate holes. Then wiggle the end so it agitates the coal and you get fresh air to the coals...It takes a long time to totally kill a fire if there is any air to the ash pit at all. It's dormant, but alive. You will be up and flying quickly.
    C~W[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Turkey,
    I agree with NB! You haven't lost enough temp yet to indicate you need to stir the lump. Just tap the bottom of the firebox and allow some of the ash to fall out of the vent holes and maybe crack the bottom vent some. [p]You're still on target, don't let it rile you![p]Dr. Chicken

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    C~W,
    What are you doing up sooooo early????[p]I thought I felt the suction of wind going past my big ears!!! You almost sucked the mirrors off the doors! :-)))[p]Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Options
    G' Mornin Dr. Chicken,
    hehe. Do you agree with me on the suggestion to go get a beer? Maybe it was irresponsible to suggest such a thing...just because it is what I would do. hehe.[p]Hope all is well out in the Big K.
    Turkey will have juice dripping down his chin in no time flat.
    cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Unknown
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, Patti Pups Potti Path needed watering..:-)

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    It's gotta be "beer-thirty" some place in the world! :-))) I kin remember getting shook like that too! Between what you, C~W and I have told him, I think he'll be fine! It's a little intimidating for the first time. I gotta hand it to him too! Doing a "lo & slo" this soon after gettin' his Egg! That takes guts! :-)))[p]My briskets are doing fine! It is a beautiful morning here in OZ! I'm glad Toto ain't around no more![p]Now, we wait to see what C~W has to say![p]Cheers![p]Dr. C

• Unknown
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, you and NB and the rest handle the cook, I am off to get more coffee and delve into software and photo transplants...Have a good Memorial Day.
    You too Turkey...!
    C~W

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    C~W,
    You have a good one too Fred! [p]What you got planned for the Egg today?[p]Surely something up your sleeve! :-)))[p]Dr. C

• Turkey
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Opps! Thats wasn't all I had to say.[p]Char-Woody... Your a Genius! No really, don't deny it. That coathanger trick got things rollin right along again in about 5min. We are back at just a tad over 250° and the bottom vent is back to 1/4" and the top daisy is about half open. Meat is up to 172°.[p]Should be eating some real good PP later today.[p]It's a big one for me and the wiffy so I'll be putting some more in vacuum saver bags and into the freezer. BTW- the Foodsavor is the best thing you'll ever get for your kitchen. I've had one for years and it's great, bout $70 on eBay.[p]Mark

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Turkey, thats been my "secret weapon" for years. Mine is a 1/4 inch aluminum rod about 30 inches long with the L bend on the end. Goes back to the days of wood and cob burning stoves with the handle you slip on the grate shakers. Thats the first thing you heard in the mornings was the cook stove and the furnace getting shook down to hot coals and fire going.
    Good old days..heeeeyaaaa. No genious here, just good memory.
    Have a good one..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, I think thick cut aged beef porterhouse later today...I have the urge...:-) Quick and simple.
    C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Turkey, and your right regarding the FoodSaver. We have the ProII and love it. I vacuum packed some beef jerky to haul along with the fish bait and beer. :-)
    Enjoy the PPork. The bark is my main target for samples.
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Beer-Thirty. I like it.[p]OoooooEeeee! Have fun with those chunk-o-chests! MAN them thangs is good.
    Have a righteous day.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    That sounds GREAT!!!! [p]I was hopeing to do something like that this weekend, but I got too many irons in the "fire" and ran out of funds! :-)))[p]Friday it was good stuff on the wok! Saturday, was pork burgers! Sunday it was PP, buffalo wings and chicken breasts! Today it is briskets and maybe..... more stuff on the wok![p]All in all, it is/has been a good weekend![p]I'm gona try that "wire" trick later today. It probably is better than tapping on the bottom grate with the ash tool. Thanks for the tip![p]Have a good one C~W![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• Unknown
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, its simple, works, and don't cost much. Right down my alley..:-) Your welcome.