Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crispy chicken skin

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
tonight I am going to cook a beer can chicken on the egg. I generally do it like DR. BBQ recommends @ 350 indirect. My problem is, although the chicken always tastes great, the skin is never crispy. I would like for the skin to be crispy, if possible. [p]Does anyone have a suggestion how to achieve this?[p]Thanks.[p]Tapple

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Tapple,[p]375F indirect works sometimes.

• RobMonctonNB
    Options
    Gotta crank up the temp and have a shorter cook but it has to be done indirect or the chicken parts close to the fire will get charred.[p]On a sidenote, no need to make chicken with the beer can method on the BGE...the chicken will be moist enough on it's own. I've found in the past that if you over-moisturize the cooking environment, the chicken will attain a less than desirable texture...almost mushy. That's my two cents...can I have a receipt?

• KENinATL
    KENinATL Posts: 4
    Options
    Tapple,[p]Forget beercan - do spatchcock - direct 1 hr at 350 dome - then flip 10-15 mins at 350, take off and let rest 10-15 mins - perfect, juicy meat, crispy skin.[p]-Ken
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Tapple,
    The folks below are on the right track: the more humid the environment, the less crisp the skin.[p]I, too, suggest spatchcock. You can get more crispness by piercing the skin (before or after seasoning) and dusting the skin lightly with corn starch.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    The night before, pat the chicken dry and place in the refrigerator.[p]This along with the other ideas will help.[p]Spacey
  • Tapple,[p]One last trick: Gently work your fingers between the skin and the meat to separate them wherever you can (without actually breaking the skin). This is good for adding seasoning under the skin and really helps the skin crisp up.[p]David

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Tapple,
    I have always done mine direct on a raised grid about 350. Takes about 90 minutes and the last 15 or so, bump it up to 400. I generally do 4 at a time and use “very” little beer in the cans. Chicken doesn't need it as much as I do. Also rub with evoo before starting. Skin is somewhat crisp.
    Popsicle

Willis Tx.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    drstcks2.jpg
    <p />Tapple,
    I have good results, coating with buttermilk then my spices. I have only tried it on individual pieces though.[p]Mike

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Spaceman Spiff,
    i agree.. a wet chicken will never get a crispy skin in the bbq or in the oven!! so pat it dry and let sit in refrigerator uncovered so it can dry!! then my friend add your oil and spices and trust me the skin will be plenty crispy!![p]mike

• GordoBBQ
    GordoBBQ Posts: 8
    Options
    Tapple,[p]This works every time and it's a no-brainer.
    As mentioned before forget the beer can gimmick. However, I have used the beer can stand very succesfully without the beer. The key to crisp skin is high heat. You don't get a crisp on the outside of a steak at 350, so why would you with chicken. CRANK IT UP AND QUIT STEAMING THE BIRD!
    I really like the spatchcock method and use this exclusively now. Remove the backbone with poultry shears, cutting along each side of the backbone. Then using a paring knife remove the ribs. wash the bird and dry very well with paper towels. Coat with EVO and season with and DP rub like shakin the tree or even firewalk. Use an indirect set-up with drip pan at about 600 degrees for the first 15-20 minutes and throttle back to about 450-500 for the remaining 30 minutes or until instant read thermometer reads 160, juices run clear. this will be the juiciest chicken you ever had as well. To serve I chop in half for two of us and serve with a heap of Pico de Gayo with chunks of avacado and fresh hot tortillas and cold beer....and cold beer.......and cold beer!![p]Enjoy, this really works well.[p]Gordy,
    thinkin it's gonna be a spatchcocked chicken tonight in Fountain Hills Arizona!!

• grilln & chilln
    Options
    I'm taking note of that one gordo, sound like a winner, 350-400 indirect just takes way too long on my spatchcocks. Thanks for the contribution.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Tapple, Just did a beer can chicken yesterday, only I used a "Willy Sitter" (ceramic). Rinsed and dry chicken, coat with EVOO and sprinkle with Dr. BBQ's big time rub, some Montreal Steak seasoning, put into fridge for about an hour or two to help dry the skin. Direct @ 400º for about an hour.
    Comes out juicy, with a crispy skin.