Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On covering Mr. Egg Newbies pay attention!

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For the first time in two years I left the cover off of MR. Egg and during the last 3 days we have had in excess of 2.5 inches of rain. Went out this morning (the sun is trying to come out)to clean him out and I was amazed at how wet the ash and small pieces of left over lump were! I wasn't going to cook until Sunday and may have just saved myself a lot of grief. Cleaned him out and I'm letting him 'air-dry' for the moment.
My dealer had suggested a cover when I purchased Mr. Egg and I trusted his recomedation. I've NEVER had a problem starting a fire or getting the temps I desired. Now, I have to think the cover does its job.
IMHO a cover is a GREAT investment and you can be sure I will not be leaving MR. Egg uncovered in the future. I recomend you get a cover if you don't have one and enjoy yourself even more!
Carey

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sundown, I'll second that. I alway cover mine even with a cheap black round outdoor fireplace cover I found in Lowes.
    But its a sturdy heavy duty cover. Even tho the BGE is a all weather machine, you protect and prolong the life with a adequate cover. Not much more investment required.
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    myegg2.jpg
    <p />Sundown,
    Mine are both out in rain as I type and I will use them tonight -- Didn't yours come with a rain cap?? The reason they call it a rain cap is............[p]Daisy tops leak!![p]Tim -- no cover - naked Eggs with caps

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tim M, I agree..Daisy tops leak, so do sliders. But not if covered with a rain cap.
    Covers are sold by BGE for the Eggs, and other generic covers do protect the BGE's from the elements. This is a owners option as Sundown suggests.
    I prefer to keep my BGE's dry, as they do have a tendency to soak moisture into the castings from pinhole's in the glaze. Especially if allowed to sit in the elements for a long time exposure between cooks.
    Thus my posting to Sundown, even tho assumed to be out of line in regards to yours. We all have our viewpoints, and I respect yours as well.
    Cheers to ya...
    Char-Woody[p]

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Tim M,
    No naked photos please. It looks like you spit shine those babies.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Tim M,
    Had rain cap on and the interior still got pretty damp...damp enough the the ashes didn't leave dust everywhere.
    Carey

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I use BGE covers on of the Eggs that remain outdoors and agree with Sundown on their beneficial use vs. uncovered Eggs with rain cap only. In the 3 1/2 years I've been Egging, I have not found the need to add fresh lump to used lump to get a nice fire going. I also haven't experienced any problems associated with damp lump.[p]The top you use as a rain cap is actually a damper top intended to be used to snuff the fire after the cook is completed.[p]Spin
    [ul][li]Diagram of BGE components via BGE Co.[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Tim M, I a switch hitter on this. I put my cover on when (This doesn't happen very often) I don't use the EGG for a couple days. Never had a problem either way.[p]CWM
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Spin,
    So after it's tamped - you remove it?????? [p]NO. Lets not "make" an arguement form thin air.[p]T