Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Prime Rib Roast

Options
Trout Bum
Trout Bum Posts: 343
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a 3 1/2 lb. Standing Rib roast to EGG. Would like to do something other than just cooking it like you would in a oven.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
B D

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Big Daddy,[p]Here is a recipe that works very well and is a bit different from the norm. I substitute kosher salt for the rock salt.[p]Spin

[ul][li]Old English Prime Rib Roast[/ul]
  • Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    this is my wife's absolute favorite:[p]I dust the outside of the roast with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. I start the egg (I've got the "other brand" but this is for cookin' not brand specific) and let it settle out between 350-400. I get a big cast iron pan super hot on the outside grill's side burner (it's still good for something!) I sear the roast all over, there's a ton of great smelling smoke at this time and the neighbors are getting plenty worked up. I put the seared roast over a drip pan over a heat deflector (I use an aluminum drip pan with a beer in it on a pizza stone on my lower bracket) You MUST use a polder or some other temp device. I leave the roast in until 139 for a perfect medium rare. Put your foil wrapped, butter coated baked potatos in there at about 80 degrees roast temp for perfect spuds. I use creamed horse radish and I cheat and use Lawry's au juice in the packet because my wife loves it. Also, throw a couple of great big yellow onions on the coals. You'll NEVER enjoy prime rib out again!!!!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Huck, Thats a good proceedure. Almost a carbon copy of my flamed SRR process. I crank things up to the 600F range and do as you prescribed. But its not for amateur's to try. I rotate a roast that is literally on fire. One big glob of it, for a few minutes per side. You need long sleeved gloves for this. And sturdy tongs. [p]Good cooking to ya.
    Char-Woody

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    I'll second Spin's suggestion of a recipe! :-)))[p]Try this one, one time and you'll be sold forever! I thought I had a good recipe, kinda like C~W's & Huck's, then this little old lady in Eureka Springs, AR. gave me the basis for this one. I changed a few things and added a few things and Wha-La! What a winner!!!![p]Use 2 cups of Kosher or ice cream salt, and mix 1 egg white with a little water with the salt and "run-over" seasonings to help the salt stick to the outside of the roast. It will form a hard crust that seals the juices in. It will melt in your mouth![p]
    Hollar if you need any help, and let us know how it turned out and which method you used.[p]Take care,[p]Dr. Chicken

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Do you eat the salt crust or break it off and dipose of it, does the meat taste salty??????? I'm not a salt user so I pick up on the taste very quickly and usually don't care for it. (except in my beer)
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    New Bob,
    No, you do not eat the salt crust! It will be extremely hard and brittle. I have had to use a "tenderizing" hammer to even break it at times, it is that hard. I think the high temps do that to the salt. [p]Just remove all the salt, even scraping if necessary, discard the salt coating and then allow the PR to sit undisturbed for another 10 minutes, slice and serve. It will be juicy beyond belief and the PR will not be salty at all! I too am very sensitve to salt, besides having BP problems. I don't need the extra salt. (not even in a beer!) :-))) [p]Believe me, my wife and I were skeptical worse than you can imagine! But this is one recipe that has grown better with time! (Kinda like Dr. Chicken!) :-))) :-)))[p]
    Good luck and good eating![p]Dr. Chicken

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    View?u=1692104&a=12990706&p=49220644
    <p />Thanks to all the prime rib is now on the EGG at 510*. Decided to use Mr. Chicken's seasoned and salted method. Will try others at another time. Expect to eat around 7:30pm. The pic is salted roast prior to Egging. Will post results later. Raelly smells gooood!
    B D

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Thank you so much for the help. This is all new to me so at times I don't understand what the effects are when using things such as salt or mustard on meat. I appreciate your help.
    New Bob

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    New Bob,
    No problem! I'm always glad to help! Sorry I've been on & off the forum all day. Other "honey do's" must come first.
    Big Daddy did things up right with his PR roast! It sure makes my mouth water.
    Let me know how things turn out for you! I've still got to check the rest of the forum. I hope to get it done before beddy bye![p]Any time you need help, just hollar! I'll get back with you! Hopefully sooner than later and sooner than I have been doing today![p]Have a great weekend! Enjoy the Prime Rib![p]
    Dr. Chicken