Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Boston Butt question......

edited 4:14PM in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking for about 35 people this weekend and I am trying to figure out how much (per pound) I should cook? Also, How much can I get on my large egg?
·

Comments

• sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    Buckhead Egg,[p]4-5 ounces a person is about the average serving. Thats cooked meat. So, for 35 people,at 5 ounces, you'll need about 22 pounds of cooked meat assuming about 50% loss during the cook. That would be probably 3 butts, maybe 4 if you have the room and want some extras. As far as how many you can get on the large, I have a medium, sorry, cant help on that one but my guess is that you can get that many on there and someone has a picture of how its done.[p]Troy
    ·
  • sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    sorry, re-reading my post, thats 22 pounds of RAW meat, not cooked meat needed. Calculations are as follows:[p]35 people x 5 ounces a person = 175 ounces cooked[p]175 x 2 = 350 ounces RAW needed (50% loss)[p]350/16 = 22 pounds plus or minus a few ounces[p]sorry for the confusion in the prior post.[p]Troy

·
  • EddieMacEddieMac Posts: 423
    Butts usually go 7 - 8 pounds when raw....on a large....you can cook at least 3 Butts....and if you have a grid extender...which is like having double decked cooking grids...you can do 5 Butts...and maybe 6......But at bare minimum 3....[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

·
  • sprinter,[p]Thanks for the breakdown!!!! I'm going to call Publix right now and pre order probably 24 pounds!!!
    ·
  • smokinsopsmokinsop Posts: 180
    Buckhead Egg,
    I had 5 8 pounders on my large last weekend..Had to take out the fire ring. Raised grid. Cooked 15-17 hrs. The two on top took about 1-2 hrs longer. Got about 22 lbs of meat.

·
  • sprinter,
    I cooked 5 on my large two weeks ago came out great ...You don't have to have a grid ext...You can take and place 3 large butts on bottom then set a grid on top of the those and put two more on top it doesn't hurt anything if the meat touches each other... Make sure you place the top 2 where they don't touch your therm for your dome temp

·
  • RJHRJH Posts: 128
    Buckhead Egg, follow this link and check out the Naked Whiz's FAQ section for a break down.

[ul][li]How much meat do I need for a large crowd? [/ul]
    ·