Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Butt advice.

Options
Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to do my 1st butt and want to make sure i'm heading in the right direction. I have a 6 lb boston butt that i'll coat in mustard and rub and wrap in plastic until show time. I'm planning on starting at 9 pm tonight using a plate setter and drip pan. I'm planning on starting with a smoky fire (thanks char-woody) and letting the temp climb to 225-250*. 2 to 2 1/2 hrs per lb until 200 internal, about 11 or 12 tomorrow. Does this sound right? Any other suggestions? Should I trim the fat first or just cook with fat side up?[p]Thanks,[p]Chuck

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Chuck,
    You're headed in the right direction. (Now if you'll tell me where you live I'll head in that direction :-))) ) I usually work a little hotter 275 to 300; takes the time down to 1 3/4 to 2 hour per pound range, while keeping a nice crusty exterior and moist succulent interior. Fat side up, please. Don't know if it does anything for the pork, but it makes the cook happy to spray the butt with apple juice a couple of times starting about 2 hours from the end.
    Good luck and good eatin'

• Chuck
    Options
    BlueSmoke, I feel better already. I read the forum daily and thought i was doing it correctly, but just wanted to make sure. NJ is a long way from CO but you are welcome for lunch tomorrow. Thanks[p]Chuck
  • Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Chuck,
    I like your whole post. The lower and slower the temp, the better for me, after it breaks through the plateau, I'll bump it to 250 to 300 for the finish. I like to stab the butt and slide in dried onions and a little garlic. Throw a couple of big yellow onions on the fire too![p]

• Chuck
    Options
    Huck, I like the garlic and onion idea in the pork. The onions in the fire sounds interesting also. Do you use them instead or with wood? What type of flavor do they give, strong or mild? Good penetration?[p]Thanks, Chuck

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Chuck,
    I use them when I'm not using wood usually. It gets in the meat some. It DEFINITELY gets the outer quarter inch of a rib roast tastier than heck. The effect is great for aroma, mild for taste.