Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Question

Options
Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tryin to do a butt again, and need some help. The butt I picked up is 6.5 lbs. So I am going to cook this thing at 225° to 250° what is the rule of thumb as for time/lb?[p]Also, plan to put some rub on it and a mustard slather. I've always done rub then mustard. Then I read something that made me think it was suppose to be mustard then rub. What is the right sequence on the mustard/rub combo?[p]Thanx in advance,
Jethro

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Jethro,
    It`s gonna take a good 20+ hours..unless you get one of NatureBoys turbo butts LOL..give it about 14-16 hours and put your polder thermometer in the meat and let it go till 200° internal my first batch took 21 hours and the second took 26 hours..I never did put mustard on my butts, but dont think there is a right or wrong way..with my ribs I sprinkle rub, then mustard then more rub..just my opinion[p]Wess

• Jethro
    Options
    WessB,[p]Thanx ya. So I guess if I want some PP for lunch one day this weekend I'll need to start her greeness up beteen 3:00 and 4:00 the previous afternoon.[p]I've got some hickory chips I plan to add at the start of the cook. I plan on being pretty liberal with em - I likeses a nice smokey flavor.[p]Jethro

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Jethro,
    at those times you may end up having to be up early in the morning as it may be ready...and be sure to let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes after you take it off..[p]Wess

• GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    Options
    Jethro,
    My experience has been around 14-16 hours for a butt that size, Now I also finish my cook at 190*, pesonally that temp always works for me and have'nt seen an advantage for the extra 10* degrees and lets me eat that much sooner! Rub that bad boy with whatever you want, but do it the night before and wrap it in some saran wrap for a good night's sleep, pull it out of the meat locker about 1hr before throwing it on! Good luck
    Greg

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Jethro,
    Whenever I use mustard I put it on first, then the rub. It helps bind the rub to the meat. I don't think putting the rub on first could be called 'incorrect' though.
    JimW

• Jethro
    Options
    Everyone,[p]Thanx for the advise I'll post the results to let you know how it came out.[p]Jethro