Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum. You can also find a lot of information, cooking tips and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

No beer (gasp!) need substitute for beer butt chicken

chucklschuckls Posts: 399
edited 4:50PM in EggHead Forum
All I have is diet coke zero, and V8 juice - I'm drinking the V8 so I will have a can for the bird butt. [p]What can I put in the can, if I have no beer or soda (I'm not too thrilled about using diet soda for BBChicken)[p]Chuck

Comments

• FrankGFrankG Posts: 32
    chuckls,white wine

• BabyBoomBBQBabyBoomBBQ Posts: 702
    chuckls,[p]I guess you could try wine, fruit juice or lemonade. I'd run to the store if I were you though.
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,770
    chuckls,[p] A mixture of equal parts of Chicken Broth, White wine and 1 tbs of Tarragon. or 1 Tbs Thyme.
  • chuckls,
    I stopped using beer because my chicken skin didn't get crisp. The additional moisture in the BGE from the beer was part of the problem. I still prop a chicken up on a holder, I just do not use a half can of beer in the holder.

• DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    chuckls,
    Three tablespoons of your favorite rub and 8 oz. of any liquid you can find,shake the the can up and go for it.

• chucklschuckls Posts: 399
    I went with some white wine, chicken boullion, and thyme. About 1/2 can of liquid. Thanks everyone![p]I let the chicken dry out in the fridge, hopefully that'll help keep the skin crisp. Coated with a caribbean herb mix & evoo, just put in the egg on an inverted plate setter (high in the dome) at 350.[p]Chuck