Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making a good thing even better?

Options
Pig Picker
Pig Picker Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the past(pre-BGE), I have roasted pork shoulder/butt in a conventional oven. With this method, I've poked holes in the meat and stuffed in garlic, green onion and various other goodies. My question is can this kind of thing be done with pulled pork? With the longer cooking time I don't want to overwhelm the meat with an intense garlic flavor. I would like to impart a slight hint of garlic thru the meat however. [p]Does anyone have any experience with this kind of addition to the pork butt?[p]I'm thinking some hot peppers would be nice in the meat too :)[p]PP

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Pig Picker, IMHO, that is still a good cook, but a slight deviation from real southern pulled pork. I think your leaning more to a pork roast type cook. If it pleases you then do it. The BGE can cook almost any conventional oven bake or roast. Only better! :-) Try it and see! You will do no wrong and thats the fun part of it. Well, almost no wrong, I almost blew a pizza last night when I came in to check the computer for messages. Still a good pizza..Maybe KennyG will post the photo..
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I to goofed a pizza last night..was a little to done..it took me about a half hour to get the egg up to temp due to DAMP lump...so the pizza sat prepared for a lot longer than it should have...but as you said...still was good[p]
    Wess

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Pig Picker:[p]I have done butt with insertions of garlic and have enjoyed it. Garlic takes on a different character when it is completely cooked. If you like it cooked in the oven, you will find it enjoyable when done in the BGE.