Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Easter Lamb Question

Options
Conundrum
Conundrum Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got about a 5# boneless leg that I'm planning on cooking direct at 325 - 350, raised grid, after a sear. Two questions. Since I'm a single egg owner can I basically TRex it? And, If I cook it as a roast (as opposed to laid out butterflied) approximatley how long will it take to reach 140?[p]Thanks for the help and Happy Easter.
Reed

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Conundrum:[p]Yes, it can be TRexed, just treat the lamb as if you would beef.[p]I prefer to cook the boneless legs laid out because they cook in about thirty-five to fourty-five minutes on a preheated cooker depending on how long you sear. Plus, laid out you will have a variety of doneness ready to eat all at the same time.[p]Cooked as a roast the boneless leg may take about an hour to an hour and twenty minutes depending on the sear.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Any tips on removing the leg bone? I'd like to try my hand at it and I want to do it right. Going to marinade the beast in lemon juice/virgin olive oil/fresh rosemary/ black pepper/garlic/salt.
    I have my knife sharp but where do I start?
    Thanks,
    Clay

• djm5x9
    Options
    ClayQ:[p]I cannot say that this is the right way, but cut the meat to the bone the length of the bone. Then start cutting the meat from the bone with shallow cuts at the bone pulling the meat from the bone as you cut. Continue cutting around the bone in this manner until the bone can be removed from the meat. The goal is to leave as little meat on the bone as possible. A sharp knife is a must.[p]I now purchase boneless legs by the case when the price is right.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Ok, thanks. I'm looking forward to the lamb roast, always a treat. Now I get to play butcher. Yup, deboning knife razor sharp, I hope I can do a good job!
    20 degrees and snow this morning, I'll make Irish coffee for the Easter bunny.
    Happy Easter,
    Clay

• djm5x9
    Options
    ClayQ:[p]Here in Atlanta our Easter is going to be much colder than our mild Christmas was late last year . . . Quite opposite the normal temperatures we have this time of year. No melting chocolate bunnies this year![p]Your Irish coffee sounds real good for this evening! Good Easter to you as well!