Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken pieces

Janet
Janet Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi
Beginning second week of egg cooking and reading forum. Tonight I cooked chicken thighs rubbed with garlic salt and chili pepper (tried and true recipe on Weber gas grill). They were done at 300 degrees (over a drip pan) for about 15-20 minutes per side. They tasted great and looked good, but my husband complained that the skin was inedible (too tough) - I didn't notice since I usually pull the skin off anyway. Any way to get a crispy skin? Direct heat? Any other good ideas for chicken pieces (with bone)?
Thanks. This is fun.

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Janet, For crispier skin cook direct at 275 to 300 degrees and turn about every 10 to 15 minutes for aproximately 1 hr. depending of course on size of pieces being cooked. I usually start out with the bone side down on thighs and breasts and can leave unturned longer than skin side down. Hope this helps but I think you already knew. Good cookin to ya.
    Painter

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Janet,
    Like Painter mentioned, cooking direct is one good way. You might also try indirect, but in the 400-450 range. Some water in the pan (or firebricks and spacers to prevent drippings from burning). No need to flip, and with the skin up, it crisps nicely. [p]We cook tons of chicken, and another thing we like is to do is use ChefRD's wings recipe on thighs and drumstick for a crunchy breaded coating.[p]Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ