Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

License restored!!!

Options
Elizabeth
Elizabeth Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, after tonight's dinner, hubby Alan has decided to restore my license to grill-or maybe I should say "Q"---thanks to Elder Ward's recipe, and all your sage advice- I produced the most DIVINE boston butt ever consumed by Clan Pryor. Overnighted it at 200- fire died, of course, because we made Mary's planked salmon last night and didn't top off the firebox.... but I just yanked it off and started over this morning...oh, my, goodness gracious...the fire was dying and the polder said 170* around 4:30 this afternoon, and I hollered "enough"-cause it was only a 6 pounder and I was getting antsy....I've never seen such moist, tender, almost come-apart-in-your-hands pork!! I gave Alan one little taste, and I thought he was going to break out in song!!! We took it over to a friend's house to nibble on, and I thought he was gonna lay down and have a FIT- he just kept saying "Man-that's awesome..." My faith in myself has been restored....and I've got a new gasket from my dealer to restore my..whoops.."OUR" egg (since it WAS Alan's Christmas present) to full speed again! Many many thanks, y'all!!! Now, I need some suggestions for a follow-up...the expectations have risen somewhat!!! Cheers! Elizabeth

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Elizabeth,
    Happy your PP turned out so good. That is an easy thing to do. Try what ever your heart desires as we are here to lend you a hand should you desire.

• Teslamania
    Options
    Wings have always been a favorite of mine. Several nice recipes have been posted. You know, then again, there is always squid :-}

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Elizabeth,
    Glad your early experiences are so great! Don't be timid about fillin up that firebox for those long cooks. Ignore the BGE book, which says to fill it to the air holes I think, and fill that baby up into the fire ring area. You should usually not encounter problems keeping the fire going for long periods![p]As far as what to try next, how about ribs? London Broil is wonderful also. Tanker Tim's Okinawan wings are also a current favorite. Good luck deciding.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Elizabeth, Your meeting all of our expectations..heeee!! I bet ya got Alan purring like a kitten now. What are you going to do with the oldie with the weak wired up legs?
    Glad you had success with the Boston Butt. Don't stick to any one recipe as there are ooooodles of top chefs here putting their best on the line. Many excellent variations to Boston Butts that will delight the tonsils. Sometime try Walkerswood Jerk if ya like spicy hot pork. Be carefull, its dynamite. Try some thick Iowa style pork chops. Lather em in mustard and favorite rubs..JJ's is great. I also like Char-Crust and its special order from a website. Do em almost like steaks..When your ready let us know. Pork Loins!! For a super loin try Mr.Toads recipe in the recipe section.. He has even improved on that one. Geoffs Turkey Buzzard paste is a excellent bird seasoning. Wow..your in for some treats...What say Alan...nice present??
    Cheers....C~W

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Elizabeth,
    Alan should also be lisensed to EGG! Around here my wife cooks indoors and I cook outdoors - works for us except on rainy nights (seems we always cook outdoors when it rains). The comments about pulled pork are true - it is a very easy thing to prepare on the Egg. Maybe the Egg just makes it easy but as long as you keep the fire going - PP is really easy. Elder does a wonderful job outlining it to sound more ominous than it is. [p]We aren't sure what you have or have not tried. Turkey is great on the Egg and you can't do a better batch of ribs at home - Period, unless you have some monster metal wagon/cooker parked in the street. Pork tenderloins (not a pork loin) is a big favorite here as is London Broil. Give a shout on the forum b4 you cook anything and get some ideas from the pros here and then go at it. Most things are pretty easy and straight forward except pizza which takes some special ceramics to do perfectly every time. Look around the link below and see if you see something you might like to try. Good luck and keep that license up-to-date.[p]Tim - unlicensed for indoor use

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Elizabeth,
    YOU LET THE FIRE GO OUT???
    Get a rope boys!