Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bread making on the BGE?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i know this is the best place for all info i need and i'm still looking..but are there any others site out there that i could get some more info on bread baking on the BGE..i'm wanting to try but don't know how to go about starting..mahalos for any help you can give me..

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    hiloboy,
    Don't know about "on the BGE"; that seems almost too specific. You might try a google search on bread baking plus wood fired.[p]Sorry I can't be more help.[p]Ken

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    286fa7ca.jpg
    <p />hiloboy,
    this book is the best place to start. pretty much the same setup for pizza will work, some setups may require a water pan for steam, for 3 dollars for a used book you cannot go wrong. this one is a pain ordinaire careme (boule), and the other is a beehive. both these were first attempts from the book [p]054cb85d.jpg[p]3ecd831d.jpg[p]100_1156.jpg[p]100_1153.jpg

[ul][li]bread making[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    hiloboy,[p]I just started baking sourdough bread on the BGE a month or so ago. I use a platesetter, legs up, to support the grill. My pizza stone then goes on the grill. Otherwise, the platesetter (or pizza stone) gets too hot by having direct exposure to the coals. Could use fewer coals I guess, but that seems to work fine. I am very happy with both pan baked bread and rounds that I place on the stone. I have used parchment paper and corn meal under the dough and both work well. Basically, the temps and recipes are the same as if I am using my oven. Be sure to get the stones to temperature (may take an hour or more)before putting the dough on. I will admit that I have not yet got the big holes inside the bread I want, otherwise the texture and taste is excellent. Only had one batch that I fed the birds with and that was because I used a bleached soft wheat that made a hard flat cracker-like bread. As mentioned on a previous post, buy a basic book and study a bit. I havn't posted any pictures because I simply cannot compete with most of the cooks posted here. My son says I get a "A" on my cooking for taste and a "C" for presentation (the "C" is generous at times). Good cooking.