Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sit it and forget it????

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have another question sorry but I do! Is the egg the type of cooker where i can put something on and just about forget about it? or does it need constent tending to keep the temp right and to keep the food from not burning??
thank you once again this has to be the best message board that I have ever been a part of!

Comments

• Turkey
    Turkey Posts: 38
    Slim Pickens,[p]In my brief experience(one cook!) I was able to let the temp stabilize at 300° and then put my food on and whenI came back 10-15min later to flip my chicken and burgers it was still at 300° right on the nose.[p]When I came back to get dinner in another 10min it was still at 300°. It took me about 20min of follin with it to get it where I wanted it but that was probably due to ignorance and I put a piece of tape on the egg by the sliding door with and arrow and temp so next time I know about where to set it to start.[p]I feel like Ron Popeil, "Set it, and forget it!"[p]Mark
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Slim Pickens,
    No cooker that burns wood or wood products is a set and forget it deal. Too many factors. But with practice and observation, ceramic cookers need less attention that other cookers. You need to tend to your cook, but that is the fun of Qing. The key is lots of observation and learning....getting to know your cooker. I have done 20 or 30 cooks where I slept well thru the night. Along with that came a few failures. Each time you learn more.[p]You will know when you are confident enough to leave your cooker alone for several hours! [p]beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Slim Pickens,[p]IMHO cooking on the BGE sets the standard in low maintenance outdoor cooking. Once you get to know your egg (it's got personality) you'll truly appreciate how little attention it needs during a cook.[p]When I first started with the BGE I brought some bad habits from using a gas grill. I was constantly opening the top to see how things were going and over adjusting the vents. A nudge of the bottom vent and a tweak of the top slide and your set.[p]Enjoy![p]OctoberGlory
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    OctoberGlory, you learned fast..That was one of the things we used to encourage folks to do..Forget the hangups with the other cookers, and learn a whole new method of outdoor cooking. You said it right..
    Cheers to ya..
    C~W