Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beautiful Butts Question

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to C~W and a couple of adjustments I'm looking at two beautiful butts in time for lunch with the kids and their families.
My question:
After having done a number of butts I still wonder why the meat temp stalls around 160º? In the first 3 -4 hours of the cook the meat temp climbed to 110º without a slow down. Then it was s-l-o-w-g-o-i-n-g. The dome temp stayed on 200ºlike it was welded there. This morning I inched the dome temp to 250º and will hold it there till the internal reaches 200º.
I accept the stall as part of the cook and I wouldn't want to change it. (one of my neighbors came out on his deck and asked what smelled so good this morning...our homes are 250' apart and the wind was still) It's just plain curiosity more than anything.
With drippin's on my chin[p]Carey

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Sundown,
    I am no scientist, but think I can answer your question. When the internal temp stalls in the 160 range, it is beacause the connective tissue and collagen is breaking down. When the stuff is being broken down to gelatin, energy is being consumed for the process. The energy that would normally raise the temp of the meat is being used up during this process. After the breakdown is complete (usually several hours), then the meat temp begins to rise.[p]Just an attempted scientific explanation from a graphic artist. Congrats on the successful cook...and for filling your neighborhood with wonerful smells![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sundown, NB answered you correctly, so no further ad libs on that one. Congratulations, and you can add a notch to your Butt records..:-)
    Cheer's...C~W
    (BTW..I changed my mind, using a barrier helps to create a oven, separate from the fire, and you have the heat and the smoke to do the cook. If you cook direct, its because you desire the fire affect like burgers, steaks and chops. Butts and Brisket and other larger meats, require in most cases, a indirect cook. Just my humble opinion.)

• Turkey
    Turkey Posts: 38
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Well Nature Boy, I am a chemist and I can attest to the fact that you are dead on balls accurate.[p]Not to bore you but it is just like distillation of a multicomponent liquid (like whiskey or something). As the temperature of the solution reaches the boiling(or melting point in the case of your Butt) of one of the components the temperature remains relatively constant at that temperature until all of that component is distilled or melted away.[p]Consider that your Chemistry 101 leason for the weekend. Next week we will discuss super critical fluids.[p]Mark

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Turkey,
    LOL. Interesting stuff. Now you have me curious about super critical fluids. Nothing more than curiostiy though! Not much room left in my brain for that kind of thing![p]Great Sunday to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    "Super critical fluids" can only be Beer and Mint Juleps. What else is there when it comes to Q?

• Sundown
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Yesterday you gave me the confirmation on something I 'kind' of suspected. I have to pay attention more. Fortunately the Forum is here for that. My investment in Mr. Big has also added to my learning curve and my waist line. Not to metion the popularity I have gained as a result of being a cult member.
    Thanks again[p]8>)[p]Carey

• Nature Boy
    Options
    JJ,
    hehe. That is my kind of science!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Sundown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    For most, "super critical fluids" means when the intake of certain fluids as some point will call for the elimination of those fluids, hence the expression "super critical fluids"...
    could also refer to the drippin's on my chin. Or it could mean what marinades mean to the Cult.
    hehehehe
    PS the neighbor's kid on the other side came over to investigate the odor wafting on the breeze.

• Unknown
    Options
    Sundown, your welcome friend, enjoy!