Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Herbed Roast Beef In Salt Crust

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i'm having family over this sunday. my mommsie thought this might be an interesting choice on the egg. although the recipe calls for a ton of salt, the claim is that the meat finishes very nicely.[p]just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the following?: [p]Herbed Roast Beef In Salt Crust[p]Recipe By : The Oregonian
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner Entree[p]Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1/3 C Olive Oil
1/4 C Onion -- Grated
1 Tsp Garlic Salt
1 Tsp Basil -- Dried
1/2 Tsp Marjoram -- Dried
1/2 Tsp Thyme -- Dried
1/4 Tsp Pepper
5 Lb Roast Beef -- See Note
3 Lb Kosher Salt -- See Note
1 1/4 C Water[p]Combine oil, onion, garlic salt, basil, marjoram, thyme and pepper
in heavy plastic bag. Mix well. Add roast; coat well with marinade.
Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours or overnight.
Line roasting pan with aluminum foil. Combine coarse kosher salt
and water to form a thick paste. Pat 1 cup paste into a 1/2-inch thick
rectangle in pan. Pat roast dry with paper towels. Insert meat
thermometer. Place roast on salt layer. Pack remaining salt paste
around meat to seal well.
Place roast in a 425-degree oven and roast 16 - 18 minutes per
pound for rare (140 degrees), 20 - 22 minutes per pound for medium (160
degrees), or 25 - 30 minutes per pound for well done (170 degrees).
Remove roast when thermometer registers 5 degrees below desired
doneness. Let roast stand 5 - 10 minutes in salt crust before carving.
If using an instant read thermometer (kind that isn't inserted
before roasting) check the estimated cooking time. Take roast out of
the oven 10 - 15 minutes before it should be done. You may have to
poke a hole in the salt crust first before inserting thermometer.
Continue roasting, if needed, and test temperature again in 5 minutes.
To remove roast from salt, you may need to use a hammer. After removing crust, use a stiff pastry or vegetable brush to whisk away any remaining salt crystals.[p]- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [p]NOTES : Use prime rib, eye of round, tenderloin - any beef roast that is at least 4 pounds. Smaller roasts will not be in the oven long enough for crust to become hard. For roast larger than 6 pounds, cooking will not take as long as the above time guidelines. (in other words, a 15 pound roast well not need 5 hours to cook to medium.) Bigger roasts are not necessarily larger around, just longer. A meat thermometer is absolutely essential to judge perfect cooking times.[p]Be sure to use coarse kosher salt, not rock salt, regular table salt, or pickling and canning salt. Rock salt may have impurities; table salt
and pickling and canning salt are too fine.[p]Buy an extra box of salt if cooking a roast larger than 6 pounds.[p]Insert meat thermometer before putting the meat in the oven. When the crust hardens, the thermometer may be difficult to insert. Wiggle the thermometer so the salt iisn't packed against the stem, which could produce a false temperature reading.[p]Don't pack the roast in salt ahead of time, or the salt will fall off.
Don't moisten the salt with more water than the recipe calls for, or the salt will fall off.[p]Sprinkle a thin layer of salt slush over the roast first, then add a
thicker layer. The salt will cling to the meat better. But if the salt
still falls off in a few places, don't worry.

Comments

• I have done it the the oven (before I got an egg). Worked well. The Oregonian has fine tuned the recipe over the years and it should work well[p]Spacey
  • Spaceman Spiff,
    thanks spiff. is this one that you would do again? was it salty? would you do anything to adjust the recipe?

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    markkal123,[p]did a salt crust last year on a prime rib, used an egg as a binding agent for the salt crust/herb mixture... slow roast, remove crust and sear at the end. Check Thirdeyes site for more details less the salt crust.[p]Hands down... The best prime rib I've cooked. You may have doubts when you start the cook and see all that salt but trust me... this is good stuff[p]Scott