Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time doing Boston Butt Direct

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just put two Boston Butts (total 17 Lbs) on Mr. Egg two hours ago and I'm trying direct. No drip pan...no pizza stone or bricks. At the moment the dome temp is 200º dead on! Internal temp is already 80º. No memory left and I don't recall how quickly the internal temp rose the last few times I did Pulled Pork. Every time before I cooked indirect. I remember it will plateau out at about 160º and stay for a while. I know Mr. Egg will not let me down I just want to make sure I don't let him down. Please tell me I'm okay! Feeling quite needy are we?

:>) Carey

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sundown, Since your going low and slow, I wonder why your doing it direct. Its been done before, but I think you will have a drier roast. I usually don't recommend opening the dome during a low and slow cook because you will unbalance the fire burning and it will take a while to stabalize again. You may have to rotate a direct cook. Maybe once during the term. If you have a fire run away due to grease, you will not achieve what your looking for. My thoughts..
    C~W[p]

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Point well taken. I must have anticipated an answer like that because I had the stone, the v-rack and the drip pan standing by!
    Swop made! If I had "dry" PP I would have a family that would be kind but unforgiving. Likely take me out and shoot me. All of the other PP we have had off Mr. Big has been wonderfully moist and they are used to it now.
    Thanks a bunch. [p]Carey