Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hanger Steak- any good? how do you cook?

Options
Sandman
Sandman Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FlatEric
    FlatEric Posts: 56
    Options
    Sandman,
    Max is a Fan, I wasn't until i had one at Les Halles in NYC last week..... I think the key is the way the cut/butcher it, kinda butterfly??? Definately worth the learning curve. Ask Max i will lurk on how he answers.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    FlatEric,
    glad you made it les halles. .. did you go to the one on park ave? ... love that meat case right at the front of the restaurant!![p]you are correct. .. at french bistros like les halles, they take the whole hanger steak, split it down the middle, remove that tough piece of tissue, then take each half, butterfly it, trim it, pound it, marinade it (at les halles its a simple marinade of soy sauce and shallotts), and fast grill it ...along with the pomme frittes, that is some damn good eats!! the trimmings they grill up and serve on a salad ... [p]at home, i typically grill the steak as a whole (again, a direct grill at around 500 degrees for about 7 minutes per side - its a steak that doesn't lend itself well a t-rex cook). ..when i slice it, i just make sure to cut out that part with the tough tissue. .. . and sometimes i don't even do the marinade ...just some salt and pepper, or some dizzy raising the steaks. ...thats all it needs .. .[p]hanger steak has some of the best, boldest, beefiest flavor around .... give it a try!! (if you can find it)

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Cant find it in Tampa.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] OK Max Trade you May 4th. $30.00 of Tri-Tip for $30.00 of Hanger steaks. Not sure which of us will get the better deal, but I thought dollar for dollar was better then pound for pound.
  • FlatEric
    FlatEric Posts: 56
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Went to the store by WTC Sunday night. Originally had reservations to the one on Park for Monday lunch, but we got a call from Mr. Letterman inviting us to see his taping on Monday (Will Ferrel), so we bumped it up one meal, and went to the downtown store. Great Stuff