Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brant's Butt - Cook it early and referigerate?

Harry
Harry Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on cooking Brant's Boston Butt (done it before and it's outstanding) but this time I want to bring it to work on Monday and serve some of the BBQ fans at lunch.[p]Since I never get it done exactly when I want, and planning for it to be done exactly at 7:00 am when I leave for work is problematic, my next thought is to cook it to be done Sunday evening. I would then pull it and put it in the refer until leaving for work, and then in the refer at work until lunch - then into the microwave at work.[p]Any better suggestions?
Thanks,
Harry

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Harry, your plan is a good one.. the smell of smoked butt will fill the office area. For my home use, I usually chop it and mix it with sauce then heat and put on buns..Use a side slaw is good with it. Along with chips and baked beans. Everyone to their own tastes!
    Cheers to ya...Char-Woody

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Harry,[p]It takes me over a full half hour to pull a butt properly (I'm slow, and the sampling takes time!), so I wouldn't try to have it ready off the smoker in the morning before work unless I wanted to be late. Your Sunday evening plan is a good one. The only potential problem is that microwaving is not the best way to reheat pulled pork, but I doubt you have a real oven to use at work, so it will have to do. I always get best results with a microwave if I add some BBQ sauce to the meat to keep it moist, and heat one or two servings at a time.[p]Enjoy, and impress your co-workers with your outdoor cooking skills![p]Brant
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Brant. Always good to hear from you. I agree with you that nuking PP is acceptable, but not the best way to reheat. Just wanted to mention that it heats VERY quickly in the microwave, even on 40% power. Drizzling some water (or like you mention..Q Sauce) helps, and heat for a short time, then check it. It really only needs to be warm, and nuking too much seems to impart a funky flavor.[p]cheers atcha, Brant.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Harry
    Harry Posts: 58
    Thank you, all
    This is helpful, especially the part about not nuking it too much. I probably would have screwed up a good BBQ if I hadn't read this.[p]There are a couple of BBQ places near the office that a group of us get take out from every week. (We get take out because there isn't any place to sit. These are realy country places.)<g> I've commented before that "my BGE does better than this" so they finally told me to put up or shut up. Sure don't want to ruin it.[p]Thanks again,
    Harry