Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

the problem with thick cut steaks

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has any one tried the method in this months Cooks Illustrate?The traditional pan searing technique produces a brown crust.a pink center,and a gray band of overcooked meat in between.They tried the hot tap water in a zipper-lock bag for 30 min till the temp of meat was 100 degrees.Still the same gray zone.Then the went straight from the frige to a 275 degree oven.After 25 minutes the steaks had reached a 95 degree temp.They seared them in less than four minutes and let them rest.As the knife cut through the crispy crust,it revealed pink,juicy meat-the gray zone was gone.Cant wait to try it out.

Comments

• darnoc,
    Sounds like they Xerted it.
    I do like to cook this way. Egg at 300. 1.5" thick pork chop for 8 minutes a side. Then open her up to 500 or so and 4 minutes a side.
    Did this with skinless, boneless breasts also. Worked good.
    Did this with two different steaks. One was good...the other was not so good.
    It's inconsistent. I haven't been egging long enough to know why.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    darnoc,[p]I have used the method for several years and it works great.
    I actually heat the steaks in a foodsaver vacuum bag in water at 125 degrees for 30 minutes. I then dry them very well and then sear at 600 degrees for 3 minutes a side. Works excellent.[p]You need to warm the steak at a lower temp than 300 degrees. Go for 250 degrees and you will enjoy very much.[p]Spin

• Darnoc
    Options
    Spin,
    Thanks for the tip Spin.The article said the reason the zip locked bag test failed was because the moisture that was sweating out of the warming steaks was coming in direct contact with the pan,thereby reducing the rate at which it could heat up.You mention that you dry them very well before the sear.Looks like you are one up on Cooks Illustrated.Have a long Easter weekend ahead and this will be one of my meals with all of the fixins.

• Darnoc
    Options
    Spin,
    Forgot. I assume the rest time would be about the same amount of time it takes to get the Egg back down to 250 fter the sear.I would guess about twenty minutes right?

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    darnoc[p]I heat the meat first and then sear.[p]Spin