Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Smoke: To Stir or Not to Stir

ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Took the long smoke plunge last weekend with a 7.5lb brisket, started at 9pm Friday and finished up at 6pm Saturday with an average temp of 210. It was fork tender and quite awesome. at the 18 hour point I noticed I was having a hard time maintaining temp and had to have both doors wide open to keep it at 150. I ended up giving it a stir and had to re-light to get it going again. What is recommended here? Should I have stirred it half way through the cook? The firebox was well loaded from the beginning (2" above holes).[p]Thanks

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    ColoradoCook,[p]I usually poke my ash tool thru the bottom door and tap on my trivet to help the spent ash fall thru the air holes about 3/4 of the way thru the cook. This has worked like a charm for me and I never have fire problems toward the end of the cook.[p]Be carefull doing this if you still have the ceramic part that came with your egg as you could easily break it....but then again that would give you good reason to convert over to the metal trivet :~)[p]

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Bob,
    I have never had problems with long cooks using my trivet, but not so with the ceramic grate. The only problem I've had with the metal is keeping the temps nice and low. They seem to creep up when you're not looking.
    bd

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    ColoradoCook,
    You don't mention what size Egg you've got, but if you have a Large, and are using the metal trivet, be mighty careful about tapping it much, as it's fit in the bottom of your firebox is almost too perfect, and many of us here on the Forum can tell you how it tipped slightly, and a bunch of your lump goes down beneath at the very bottom of the Egg.
    They seem to work better than what comes with the Egg.

• ColoradoCook
    Big Murth,[p]Yes, I do have a large with the ceramic grate. From the replies I've received I guess it's time to upgrade. I have the website for the trivet obtain from this forum some time back (https://www.ugwhite.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi). What size do I get, was it a 10".[p]Thank you
  • ColoradoCook
    Big Murth,

Is this the item:
    Lodge Trivet Dutch Ovens
    LODGE (MEAT RACK)ITEM #8DOT2 - Trivet Dutch Oven Meat Racks. 8in DIA. PRICE:
    $ 7.95 [p]

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    ColoradoCook,
    Yes, pretty sure it's the 10" trivet. If you check TimM's or GFW's websites (found on the Visitor Profiles Section of this website), they will probably have all the most accurate info for you. By the way, good hearing from a Rocky Mountain Egger. Greetings from Albuquerque, New Mexico---it's great to find one or two of us west of the Mississippi from time to time!! Also, if you need a great dish with some southwestern flavor, go to the "New/Recently(?) Submitted Recipes section from this site, and try my Puerco Adobo recipe sometime, a great way to cook Pork Tenderloin. :<) Big Murth

• ColoradoCook
    Big Murth,[p]Thanks, I'll try that recipe. We oxygen starved Eggers need to stick together. We'll chat soon.[p]ColoradoCook

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    ColoradoCook,[p]That's the one I use - I found it at a housewares store. (There used to be a great place in Cherry Creek, but that was a looooong time ago!) Works great, despite the tendency to tip. [p]I've occasionally had to stir the coals during a 20+ hour cook. Sometimes the lump burns straight down rather than out, leaving a shell around a tiny fire in the bottom. [p]It might help to start with a bit more charcoal; try loading to the top of the firebox. [p]Cathy (Denver born - my mom lives just off Yale & Havana)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Big Murth,
    I just added 3 bolts to make legs for my trivet and havent given it a second thought since..works great[p]Wess

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    ColoradoCook,
    I'll second that motion from Big Murth! I have cooked his recipe several times on different cuts of meat, and its always great. I live in Mi. now, but I have lived in la, fl, tx, ri and iceland, and i must say, I like southern/sw/cajun/mexican/ foods best! Go for the puerco adobo!
    later,
    ChefRD

• ColoradoCook
    Cat,[p]Ordered the Trivet yesterday, I need to send WessB a reply, he added three bolts to his trivet to act as legs, I guess they must sit on the bottom this must make it tricky to clean out.[p]Your mom lives all but 1 1/2 miles from me, I'm at Yale and Peoria, my smoke drifted in her direction the other day.[p]I have a Eggnest, Eggmates and the cover for sale if you know anybody that needs them, they are less than two months old; I built a table last weekend.[p]Tom

• ColoradoCook
    WessB,[p]What length did you buy? They ends must sit on the bottom, does this pose a problem for clean out? My trivet will be coming in next week and I might as well do it right upon install.[p]Thanks,[p]Tom

• ColoradoCook, suit yourself, but I've been using the trivet for a year without the use of bolts. You'll find the trivet has three protruding "ears" and that serves to greatly limit the amount of contact between metal and ceramic. The use of bolts is to make it more stable so as to not dump unburnt lump into the ash pit, but as long as you stir easily that won't happen either.