Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rubbery skin

Options
JollyGreenEgger
JollyGreenEgger Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Once again the whole chicken cooked at 375 degrees had a rubbery skin. I cooked it direct with the top vent off. Any suggestions on what to do to get a crispy skin would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    kcarver141,
    Try drying it in the fridge uncovered for 24hrs. then rub with olive oil. If you have to, kick up the heat at the end of the cook to help brown it.[p]Cheers,
    Bordello

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    kcarver141,
    I haven't achieved skin as crispy as I get in the oven but there are some things that will help:[p]Separate the skin from the meat before the cook. Run your fingers under the skin to separate it from the meat, being careful not to tear the skin. I always wind up tearing some of it.[p]Dust the bird with cornstarch before cooking.[p]Turn up the heat at the end of the cook. I haven't tried this one yet but intend to. I usually cook the bird until it's 180 thigh and then I remember about cranking the heat to crisp the skin. Because it's ready to come off at that point, I don't cook it any more but always plan on trying it "next time".

• rex clingan
    Options
    My dad's technique on the gasser is to dry the skin off with paper towels, rub with season salt and pepper. Then cook on the upper rack on low. [p]Higher up near the dome may assist the skin in drying while cooking. It may use more fuel than you want, but making sure there is a good flow of air through the egg will produce a drying effect. Cooking atop a bed of rock salt might help.

• kcarver141,
    Did my first whole chicken last evening. Cooked on V rack on indirect at 325 degrees for a little over two hours. Skin was crispy and mean was tender and juicy.

• Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    kcarver141,
    My chicken is sort of my specialty,(my friends and family say), I marinate it for a few hours in Italian salid dressing then before puting in the egg I sprinkle corn starch on it and then DP Tsunami Spin. I cook it direct at about 400 degrees until 175 internal. The skin is always crispy and, I think, the best part of the chicken. Hope this helps. Bucky

• Bucky Buckshot,
    I have been using this method too for a long time - it has never let me down!

• Mik of Alaska
    Options
    kcarver141,
    Do what ever you must do to season but then dust with corn starch. You'll get your crispy skin. Mik