Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cedar Plank Salmon

MeinbmwMeinbmw Posts: 157
edited 12:24PM in EggHead Forum
Soak the plank or not?[p]Seems like I have seen it both ways here on the forum. Soaking the plank in wine sounds good.[p]Any thoughts from you salmon experts?
·

Comments

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    meinbmw,
    Every method I can remember seeing says to soak the plank. That's the only way I've ever tried, though, so I'm not much help. Oh well.....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • 10feb07-002.jpg
    <p />meinbmw,
    soak it in water
    preheat till it pops and crackles
    oil it
    salmon it
    drink the wine

·
  • Steeler FanSteeler Fan Posts: 395
    meinbmw, I normally soak mine so that I can use it over and over. I have done it without the soak usually when the board is about done. I also agree drink the wine, don't soak it unless you can afford it.

·
  • MeinbmwMeinbmw Posts: 157
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Thanks for the info and photo ... I particularily like the last step !!!
    ·
  • TRexTRex Posts: 2,708
    meinbmw,[p]I've had better results without soaking, but I rarely reuse the planks.[p]Just make sure that, whichever way you go, you can smell the plank before you put the fish on it.[p]Good luck,[p]TRex
    ·
  • duckeggduckegg Posts: 267
    meinbmw,
    I soak mine in Jim Beam, I can't seem to get the Salmon on in time though.:-)

·