Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire starting for long cook times

Options
Pig Picker
Pig Picker Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the absolute, 100 percent, fool proof, no fail procedure for lighting the coals to maximumize low and slow cook times ...[p]or at least a "really good" method ;-)[p]Here what I would normally do:[p]1. Stir my old lump to remove most of the ash.
2. Clean out the fallen ash.
3. Use an electric starter to get a small amount of lump going.
4. Put in the rest of the lump and get it fairly level.[p]Will my method work? Does it need tweaking? Whats your favorite way to start up the lump for an 18 hour pork -a- thon.[p]thanx
PP

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Pig Picker,
    My favorite way is to fill the firebox full. Dig a shallow hole in the center, and drop a small lit chunk of firestarter in, then lay a few pieces of charcoal over it without smothering. Leave top open until firestarter is extinguished, and small group of coals is burning. Close lid with cap off, and close bottom vent to 1/8 inch or so. When dome temp reaches 180, I plunge some wood chunks into the core fire, put on the grub, and then the daisy.[p]Whatever works best for you is the best way though![p]cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Pig Picker,[p] Only thing I'd add to what you and NatureBoy already wrote is that I always leave some ash in the bottom of the BGE (under the firebox grate). It really helps to insulate the bottom . . .[p]MikeO
  • Pig Picker
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I wonder if I could position by electric starter to do the same thing. Or maybe put the starter in the middle of lump while I fill it up. I'll have to play around with it.[p]Thanks for the input
    PP

• Pig Picker
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Now that I did not know. Very interesting. I normally clean all the excess ash out before I start but insulating the bottom does sound like a good idea.[p]thanx
    PP

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Pig Picker,
    I always fill my firebox full and use my electric lighter to start it only on one side. The fire always works itself slowly across the rest of the lump. Never had a problem using this method, and the lump seems to last longer this way.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Pig Picker,[p]I think you're missing the idea, you want the fire to start from the top and burn down. You want to get it going from the middle or below and pour lump in on it. No, just fill it and toss in a fire cube or sawdust log chunk on the top. The dome is closed and vents wide open until the starter is burnt out and the temps are coming to 200 deg or less. Start by closing the bottom vent to about 1" open and daisy top 1/2 closed. Now adjust from there as temps require.[p]Tim