Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Owner

Options
Jimbo
Jimbo Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All, i just got my egg yesterday ( lastnight ) finally got it set up late & my 1st attempt on it way hamburgers they were very good i must admit only down side was that i didn't have time to find a good recipe or a good rub to marinate them in because of the time it was by the time i got the egg went to the store put it together it was 01200 am when we ate i had to wake everyone up so today i want to make up for lastnight i want to try and make spatch chicken bake / roast some potatoes and also try a whole chicken i opted not to get the nest for the egg but instead get the plate setter & raised grill i felt those would be more valuable now than the nest can someone please guide me to an easy method for what i have in mind for my cook today again it ( spatch chicken a whole chicken and a want to try to bake 4 potatoes ) also inform wether to do all direct or indirect thank i'll be preping the chickin while i wait on all of your replys

Comments

• toomsdpt
    toomsdpt Posts: 141
    Options
    Jimbo,
    check out this site

[ul][li]Whiz.spatch[/ul]
  • Jonnio
    Jonnio Posts: 26
    Options
    Jimbo,[p]For the potatoes I like to rub them with EVOO and then put the same rub that the meat will be getting on them. If you are cooking inderect just toss them on the grill, direct, you might want to wrap them in foil if you don't like the darkened crispy skin.
  • slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    Options
    Jimbo,
    The world as you once knew it, has now changed! Frome now on, you will not be refered to as the lump in the back yard, were dome temp doesn't mean you lose body heat without a hat, were direct/indirect isn't over the phone or face to face, wait till you find the true meaning of the wiggle stick!
    Welcome aboard!!

• Jimbo
    Options
    Jonnio,
    how long do i place the potatoes on the grill for as i am very new to this process

• Jimbo
    Options
    slyrye,
    Thanks alot I'm sure i will find all that i need in this forum i'm lookin foward to a lot of great ideas & cooks from all the great people here

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Jimbo,[p]I like to do my chicken indirect because the fat burning on the coals can produce a lot of smoke flavor that my family doesn't care for. [p]For you to go indirect today, you will have to buy a replacement 18 inch grill. The weber one fits fine. You will also need a few firebricks. Set it up as the Whiz say and cook the checken indirect. [p]As far as potatoes go, I would wrap them. Rub with olive oil, kosher salt and anything else you want and just cook them for an hour right allong side your chicken.[p]Heck, after the chicken and spuds comes off, they can rest for 5 or 10 minutes, so run the heat up to 450 and grill some veggies - zuchini, yellow squash, mushrooms etc...[p]Ed
    [ul][li]fire bricks[/ul]
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Egginator,[p]Oops Typo
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Jimbo,
    welcome aboard. Since you say you are new to this then I assume you are not Jim Holman from GA. If not then you'll need to use a different name as Jimbo has already been claimed. No harm - no foul - just wanted you to know.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jimbo
    Options
    Egginator,
    So your saying the grill extender i have would not work for an indirect cook i have the extender & plate setter guess i'll have to go look for a replacement 18" grill

• RRP,
    Sorry for that as i didn't know i'll now use the name BEAST

• egginator,
    Thanks so i won't wrap the potatoes i'll do those direct with the chicken

• We have had ours for about 6 months and it has been great. I have made a few things that didn't work exactly right but with practice we have much improved. We did invest in the BBQ Guru and it works exactly as expected. I can sleep and do a 20+ hour butt with no problem. We are now the bbq people and everyone is always asking when the next part is. Not a bad place to be. Did my first chicken today. See new post above. Did on an extender, not true indirect and it was great.

• Jonnio
    Jonnio Posts: 26
    Options
    ummm a couple hours or so? If you are around 350 then about that, otherwise it will vary by grid temp. I just squeeze them til the feel right.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Jimbo! I was busting on you about getting your egg and I'm glad to see that you "manned up" and got your egg! Congratulations to you! Welcome! And best of luck![p]Do yourself a MAJOR favor....Go to www.nakedwhiz.com....or WessB.com....and ready EVERY page on those sites about cooking with the BGE....You'll be so glad that you did....These two fellas have put a ton of time into these sites....and have all the information you need RIGHT NOW!!.....Save yourself some headaches and ruined meat and read these websites......Cooking with the BGE is easy...and it's best to use the informtion that's available to you....and best of all it's FREE!!![p]Again....A sincere welcome![p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• eddiemac,
    Thanks alot i have now changed my name to BEAST because of that name was already in use i have booked marked those sites for present a& future references i have received so much valuable info so far from all the members on this forum a big thanks goes out to all those that have helped me as well as others that have or have not been afraid to ask questions here