Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip advice

Options
Rusty Rooster
Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We went to our local meat market this afternoon for a couple filets. They were great with some grilled veggies, grilled sweet potatoes and bread. Now my question and yes I know I have seen it answered 100 times but I am sorry I cannot find it now. I have looked in recipies on this site, the Wiz & Wessb with no luck. While at the market I asked the owner if he had heard of a tri tip because I had never seen one n any counter. He said he knew what they were, described it well enough that I knew he was talking about the same cut I have seen discussed on here many times. Long story short, I bought one, now I just need advice on cooking it please. Sorry for asking a question that has been asked so many times.

Comments

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    Hey Rusty Rooster,
    You can marinade it or coat it with your favorite seasoning...I use DP Swamp Venom. Either way, I like to cook it at 300 deg. until internal is 125-130 in thickest part. Take it off to rest while bringing Mr. Egg up to sear temperature ~600 deg. I usually sear each side about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove and let rest about 10 minutes, slice against grain, the thick part is usually med. rare and the thinner end is medium... Good eats..
    Let us know how it turns out...
    Robert

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    wrobs,
    Sounds simple enough even for me. Thank you. I printed and will try it first chance next week.

• guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Options
    nhaw
    <p />Rusty Rooster, You know I've never timed it but they always come out great. I keep the dome at 350 flip once and check for firmness using the hand clenching methos and it comes out a little red inside but not bleeding. I like to get a little sear at the end too so I try to crank it up or open the lid a bit. They're really good![p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • guava greg
    Options
    4509597535.jpg
    <p />opps! here's a pic of tri-tips and spatchcocked chicken.[p]Greg
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Rusty Rooster, Direct on a raised grid at 400, flipping frequently works great. This also makes a tasty crust. Lots of rubs will work, but I think mesquite for smoke is the bomb.
    Scott

• guava greg
    Options
    Scotty's Inferno, [p]Good call on the wood. I use a close Hawaiian relative of mesquite...Kiawe..for beef especially at those temps.[p]Aloha,[p]Greg