Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need recomindations

cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought turkey legs to smoke. I have hickory chips, would another flavor be better? Also, I thought butter under the skin and sage would do the trick. Any comments/suggestions would be great! Thanx.
Molly

Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• cookn biker,[p]I was gonna do some soon as well, I will be using Maple wood for smoke.
  • Molly,[p]You're right on target. Be careful with the sage. A llittle goes a long way.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    cookn biker,[p]Pecan gives a really spectacular golden brown hue to turkey. If you don't have the wood on hand, just a handful of shells will do. I like to add a bit of oregano and basil along with the sage.[p]gdenby
  • cookn biker,[p]I found that hickory is a strong smoke, and goes better with 'red' meats. Try the fruit woods if you have any, apple or cherry is wonderful with poultry. Also, you might get into the habit of buying wood 'chunks' instead of 'chips'. They last longer during the cooking process. Do yourself a favor and contact 'guava greg' and purchase some of his hawaian guava wood chunks. It has become one of my favorite smoke flavors for poultry and pork. He can be found on the forum. Something like a 12 pound box of chunk for $20 postage paid if I remember correctly, but he might have bumped his price since I ordered last. Also, I reduced some medium dry sherry to almost a syrup (down to 3-4 Tablespoons from about a cup of sherry), then added it to some butter and sage before I did a 12 pound turkey a few weeks ago. It lended a bit of sweetness, and I was pleased with the result. Butter blend under the skin will definately keep the meat moist and lend a great flavor. Let us know how it turns out............Happy Egging............Eggcitable Boy

• Molly......[p]You can get hawaiian guava wood from greg at www.hawaiiguava.com He also has another product, kiawe wood, on the website, but I have not tried that yet. Similar to a sweeter, milder mesquite wood according to greg.............Eggcitable Boy[p]

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Eggcitable Boy,
    Thanx for the info, great stuff! I will start a regiment of chunks vs chips. The reduction of sherry sounds awesome. I am planning on a whole turkey on the 9th of April,as I have and extra day off and will consider that.
    Molly

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE