Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE dome temp gauge accuracy

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I calibrated my gauge yesterday. It reads 100deg when the temp outside is 70deg. I need to do further testing. I don't know if I can trust the gauge supplied by BGE.[p]Has anyone had problems with their dome temp. gauge?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    niceNjuicy,[p]I am curious about why you're suspisous of the thermometer. If it's just because the thing reads oddly at 70 deg outside - that may be cause for not concern.[p]I see my dome thermometers reading differently than the one used for outdoor temps. Two reasons and a possible third - the thermometers might read correctly in the designed range and may well be innaccurate at 100 deg or below. The second reason is that is will be warmer in there than outside. The Egg is green and it does heat up and will retain some heat in the Egg. Mine showed 120 deg last week one hot afternoon when it was 80 deg outside. The third is that it is in need of calibration.[p]Get a known thermometer or two or three and place them all in boiling water to see if they read 210-213 deg since that is closer to the working temp (make sure the tips don't touch the bottom of the pan). There is a nut on the back that adjusts the dial - keep the tip in the water and carefully move the nut and watch the dial.[p]Tim
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Tim M,
    Most thermometers are deigned to be the most accurate at the center of their range....[p]Wess

• Grill With Bill
    Options
    niceNjuicy,[p]Try leaving your BGE open for an hour or so. Then look at the temp. My guess is that it will then read the correct outside temp. I've noticed that many of my cookers when closed generate a little heat inside and are hotter than the ambiant outside temperature (especially if they are sitting in direct sunlight).[p]Bill