Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slow cooking cornish game hens?

Options
Saltydog
Saltydog Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to cook four cornish game hens very slowly, say at 175-200 degrees. They're marinated in lemon and garlic, your basic Cuban marinade. Is this a feasible way to cook these little birds, and does anyone have a sense of how long they might take to completion? Do I need to use a higher temperature than that for safety or success? Thanks.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Saltydog,
    350* - 1 hr, then kick up to 400* to crisp.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Saltydog,
    I have only used the method JJ uses. It makes for an extremely tender and juicy bird with crisp skin. Is there something you are trying to achieve with the low temps?? What is your goal??[p]The marinade sounds wonderful. What is in your Cuban marinade?[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks JJ and Nature Boy![p]JJ, that short cooking recipe is going to make my day tomorrow a whole lot easier. Moist and crisp, that's all I'm looking for.[p]Well, I was also looking for more smoke flavor, but can do that with woodchips, I'm sure.[p]The "Cuban marinade" is just that -- lemon and garlic. They use it on chicken and pork, and for years of trying I can find nothing to beat it. It is wonderful. Fresh lemon juice and lots of crushed garlic, marinate overnight. Let me know what you think.[p]Thanks -- Saltydog

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    starbuck,
    Simple is always good. You can add wood chunks to the fire before the birds. Poultry absorbs smoke quickly, so you should get plenty of smoke flavor. I cooked mine to a breast temp of 165. I would choose a shorter marinade (like 6-8 hours) with garlic and lemon juice on those small birds....but I spose overnight won't hurt.[p]You're in for some good eatins.
    have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Saltydog
    Options
    How did that post end up reading from "Starbuck?" It was from me, and Name entered as Saltydog.[p]In any case, back to food, I wanted to note that it is lemon juice and _pressed_ garlic, not crushed -- the small bits of garlic in the marinade are part of the effect.[p]-- Saltydog
  • Saltydog
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Good advice, thanks. Well, they're in for an overnight, but I think will be okay. I was concerned the lemon juice might cook those little birds, but I doubt it, they're not flounder. -- Saltydog
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Saltydog,
    A good variation for a lot of smoke flavor is to get your coals just started. Then add soaked wood chips of your choice. Put the birds on while the dome temp is still fairly low, around 150F. Set your vents for about 275F and let the dome temp slowly build up to that. Cooking time is about 1.5 to 1.75 hours and the skin is crispy. If you want more crisp, take the temp up to 350F the last 20 miuutes or so.
    JimW

• Saltydog
    Options
    JimW, others - [p]I ended up trying this start at 150, then up to 275, and finish as needed at 350-400. I say "as needed," because our guest was arriving form a conference and we thought he might be late, yet we needed to eat early enough that he could get up at 5 a.m. for today's conference. Worked out great -- sort of held the hens at the lower temp while waiting for his arrival, then was able to finish them on a flexible schedule. Their small, 1-1/2 lb size allows that kind of cooking flexibility, as they can be finished quite quickly at the higher temp. Lots of smoke flavor, moist and tender as imaginable, and the overnight (intemperately long) marinade in lemon/garlic did no damage at all -- indistinguishable from a shorter marinade time. Thanks to all for good advice, all of which combined to work. Mostly, the way this ceramic grill keeps things moist I think gets the top billing. -- Saltydog