Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Boston Butt

Options
Smoking Jacket
Smoking Jacket Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK , I need lots of help. I have never cooked a Boston Butt in any form or fashion. My wife picked up a 7lb buttat the store that she would like for me to cook for her family next weekend. This would be my first overnight cook. Unfortunatley we all have plans for early Saturday morning, which will keep us away from the house till mid-day. SO my question...should I even attempt this cook when I will be gone for the last 5 to 6 hours of the cook? Or should I cook it a day earlier and re-heat on Saturday evening? How long for a seven pound butt..how many people will a 7 lb butt feed?

Comments

• Jonnio
    Jonnio Posts: 26
    Options
    You have to answer the first question for yourself -- Are you experienced enough with temp control/fire building on your BGE that you can leave for 6-7 hours (you know 5 hours trips never go that fast) and not worry that the temp will go haywire? My guess is that you are going to be fine with it if you fill the firebox with lump and get a good clean fire going.[p]As far as how long it will take that is variable and you need to cook it to 195-200 (give or take) but ball park is 1.5-2 hours per lb. I tend to try and be home in the 1 to 1.5 hour per lb range to make sure my food doesn't overcook. It should then stay hot in a pre-heated cooler for at least 5 hours.[p]It will cook down to about 3.5 lbs of pulled pork, at 1/4 lb sandwiches that is 14 sandwiches.
  • EGGOMANIAC
    EGGOMANIAC Posts: 141
    Options
    Jonnio,[p]Thats fine advice.[p]A:
    Don't leave it unattended unless you have a little experience. You don't want a 120 burnout or a 750 blaster.

• grilln & chilln
    Options
    SJ, I would sort out your lump placing larger pieces on bottom level then place medium size pieces ontop of that, then smaller pieces on top of those till filled up to top of firebox or slightly more. Get the temp. stable (for a couple of hours) at 250 dome temp. Put butt on main grill or raised grill. Cook indirect. Then let her go on cruise control. I've read that everytime you open grill you lose 10 minutes of cooking time so try to resist opening and looking. Should be fine. Start it by midnight if you want it for dinner the next day. You can always pull it early, wrap it up and put in cooler with towels to keep warm for a few hours if it finishes up early. Ditto the 1.5-2hrs/lb. My bottom vent is only open about 1/8th of an inch and top open about 1/8" to maintain these temps-but every ones are different depending on many variables.