Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Place Setter?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I bought my Egg a few weeks back, I also purchased the place setter. However the PS was on back order and still hasn't arrived. I was planning on doing some pork butts tomorrow. Will not having a place setter throw me off?

Comments

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Suck Creek Wings,[p]If you have the extended grid you can put a pizza stone or pan of sand on the main grid as a thermal barrier, then put the butts on the extended grid.[p]hth[p]BigT
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Suck Creek Wings,
    You need something to put between the fire and the butts. I would buy some fire bricks and place flat on the grid then put your drip pan on top of the bricks. Put another grid on top of the drip pan then put your butts on that grid. Hope that helps. Good luck, Tom

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Suck Creek Wings,
    instead of a platesetter, you can use bricks, water pan, pan of sand (catches drippings, adds mass, nomoisture), or a pizza stone (cover it in foil).[p]you just really want little if any of the meat to have a direct line of sight to the coals, because it will burn wherever it does.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Good deal. I do have a pizza stone I can use and the extended grid.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    BigT,
    I like your idea of a pan of sand. I'm thinking that could also be a good drip pan for catching drippy stuff that might otherwise burn in a regular drip pan giving off un-tasty flavors to the meat. Good thinking BigT.[p]Spring "Why Didn't I Think Of That" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Suck Creek Wings,[p]I'd cover the pizza stone in foil and use a drip pan on top of the foil. Good luck. [p]
  • pizza stone needs a couple inches of space from inside walls to get good circulation. You could always just make a foil shield. Just put 2 or 3 pieces of foil together, fold up the edges to keep drippings from spilling and your set. It's not as glamorous as the platesetter but it will definately work. You just need something to shield from direct heat.