Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stromboli on the egg - REEEEEEEL GOOD

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Guess this is just a twist of the Calzone that I love to cook so much but this was pretty good none the less. I made my regular Pizza/Calzone dough and mixed in a lot of italian seasonings and about a quarter cup of minced sun dried tomatoes. The fillings were just stuff I had in the fridge/freezer. I made two of them, about 15 inches long and about 8 inches wide. I filled them with some freshly made hot italian sausage, ham, swiss cheese, pepper cheese, salami, and some co-jack cheese and fresh mozarella. These were all layered on one side of the stromboli, and then the other side of the dough was folded across the top and creased on the edges to keep in the juices. I cooked them indirect for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Be sure to put olive oil on the crust and I sprinlked a little bit of italian seasoning and garlic powder on the outside as well. I dont typically have all of this "stuff" in my fridge but with mothers day a few days ago, we had a lot of extra food from appetizers and whatnot that was made for our moms get together.[p]These are a real close second to the calzones and VERY easy to make. Kind of like a big sandwich and practically anything can be used to fill it.[p]Troy

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, from my past experience with your Calazone, I will eat it..:-) Only you left out the chopped vidalia onions and the mushrooms. :-) Those are great cooks and for those pizza lovers out there, give it a go. Its a super switch to try out.
    Thanks again..
    C~W[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I purposely didn't put the onions in to make sure that the kids would eat the stromboli. If my son sees an onion within 10 feet of his plate he shys away. Too bad too as we just got 20 pounds of Vadalia onions from the local Shriners Club. They sell them every year in 10 pound sacks for a fundraiser. They make a TON of money at it and its one of the most anticipated fundraisers in town. Everyone talks about it and people are lined up for a block to get some.[p]Have a great one. This weather is tough the last couple of days. Really out of sorts for us in S. IL. I guess you guys up there are trying to dry things out eh? Send some of that down here, we're down about 3-4 inches of rain for May, we could really use it here.[p]Troy
  • Chipper
    Chipper Posts: 35
    Options
    sprinter,
    Did a couple of Vidalia's on the Egg for mother's day. Some butter, salt, & pepper and wrapped in foil. Cooked at the same time the 'taters were on (between 325° and 400°) for about an hour. Tasted as sweet as candy.[p]Chipper

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Chipper, I agree...some kids, even Dr. Chicken and sweet taters need the blind fold test...But don't bring me within 200 feet of rhubarb pie...My lips curl just thinking about it. I got sick as a kid eating raw rhubarb with some other dorks...and paid the price. :-)
    C~W[p]