Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Halibut; How would you make it?

BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't cook fish much so I'm looking for ideas & guidance. I got a pair of fresh halibut fillets from Costco today & was thinking of simply grilling them, perhaps with alder smoke. Add some punch by serving with Roasted Red Pepper Hazelnut sauce (The Herb Farm Cookbook). I have cedar planks too. Any ideas?

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    P10100822.jpg
    <p />BabyBoomBBQ,[p]We mixed up an herb paste, (no real recipe) with olive oil, fresh parsley, mustard seed, garlic,lemmon juice and a bit of honey.[p]A brief whiz in the processor....[p]Spread on as seen above, then planked on cedar for about
    25-30 mins minutes!![p]I can remember now how large a fliet this was........?[p]It was outstanding!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • BabyBoomBBQ,
    I have to submit my vacation days by tomorrow, does anyone know the dates for Eggtober fest 2007 in Atlanta? Last year was my first, but I only got in on half of the day. Is it always the same weekend, if so which one?[p]Sorry, I have no ideas about the fish:(

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Chubby,
    So you basically whizzed on a fliet? If I come to Texas, I better get all the Chubby Love I can stand.[p]Mike

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Chubby,[p] Can I get mine without the topping?? Whizzin' in the food processor you are sick sick man..
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Chubby,[p]Wow! That looks great! Herb paste huh? I have several herbs in the garden that are ready to be trimmed too. I'll do one like this tomorrow.[p]Looks like a raised direct setup. What temp?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    BabyBoomBBQ,
    I did some halibut steaks the other night. I seasoned them with Old Bay and grilled them on the small at 450 dome for about 3-4 minutes a side. I squeezed a lemon on them after flipping, they were very good. -RP

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Chubby,
    Just how large was it? Beautiful, BTW.[p]BL

• guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I've never tried halibut ..just porkbut. Looks good but![p]Greg
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]You could try my "Buttered Halibut with Lemon" recipe - some have seen pictures of how I make this. I lay down a bed of scallions then put the fish on top... [p]Click on the link for the recipe
    [ul][li]Buttered halibut with Lemon[/ul]
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    BabyBoomBBQ,
    Just don't overcook it. Melted butter with lemon juice and some fresh cracked pepper. If you overcook it will be dry and tuff.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• BabyBoomBBQ,
    Halibut is quickly becoming my favorite fish. I've done it one of several ways. I've brushed it with a melted butter/lemon juice mixture, let it sit in the fridge for a bit, and then tossed it on an oiled grate at 350-400 for 5 min. on one side and then three, four at the most, minutes on the other side. While it was cooking I basted it with a maple syrup/melted butter mix.[p]Also, I made up a quick scampi-marinade with some white wine, extra virgin olive oil (I refuse to use the abbreviation), garlic and onion, marinated it in that for only 45 minutes or so, and then rubbed it with Raging River. Grilled it the same as above and it was great.